Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken and Rice
My slow cooker version of honey garlic chicken is one of my most popular recipes this summer. I wanted to make an Instant Pot version of it since I know many people like to use a pressure cooker on busy nights when they forgot to get something in the slow cooker in the morning. The bonus to making this recipe in the Instant Pot is that you can make the chicken and sauce and the rice all at the same time in the same pot. If you want to see the method I used to make the chicken and rice you can view this video of my daughter demonstrating it.
I love using the Costco boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. But you can also use bone-in chicken thighs. Just make sure to remove the skin and trim any extra fat off before throwing them in the pot. I haven’t tried this particular recipe with boneless, skinless chicken breasts but if you do let me know if it works out. I am not sure that the rice and the chicken would get done at the same time.
More Instant Pot recipes you might like…
- Instant Pot Salsa Lime Chicken from frozen
- Instant Pot Bacon Barbecue Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Chicken Gyros
- Instant Pot Hamburger Stroganoff
What Instant Pot Did You Use?
For this Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken and Rice recipe I used this Instant Pot IP-LUX60 V3 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker. It’s 6 quarts, so the same size as most slow cookers. It cost me around $80 on Amazon. When I cooked it in the slow cooker I used my 6 Quart oval Kitchenaid Slow Cooker.
I used a Corningware dish like this to cook the rice the same time as I cooked the chicken. You can use any oven safe round dish that will fit inside your Instant Pot.
Send Me Free Slow Cooker Recipes
Thanks for stopping by! Do you love instant pot and crockpot recipes? Wish you had more good ones that your family would actually eat? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below. This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.Print
An easy Asian pressure cooker recipe for tender chicken thighs in a soy sauce, honey, lemon juice and garlic sauce. Plus the rice is cooked at the same time and in the same pot as the chicken. Add in some broccoli and you have a complete dinner!
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or bone-in chicken thighs with skin removed
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 (16 oz) package frozen broccoli florets
- Add honey, soy sauce, garlic and lemon juice into the Instant Pot. Whisk until smooth and combined.
- Trim the chicken of excess fat. I like to use kitchen shears to do this step. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Place the flour in a pie tin or shallow dish. Lightly dredge each of the chicken thighs in the flour covering all surfaces of the chicken. Place each piece of chicken into the Instant Pot. Press to submerge into the sauce.
- Place the trivet that comes with the Instant Pot with the handles up and the feet down on top of the chicken. Fill a oven safe dish that fits inside your instant pot with the rice. I used a corningware dish like this. Mine was 1 1/2 quarts. Place it on top of the trivet inside the Instant Pot. Carefully pour the water on top of the rice.
- Secure the lid of the Instant Pot and press the manual button. Set the timer for 15 minutes on high pressure. Make sure the valve is set to “sealing.”
- When the timer beeps let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes (I did a bit longer than this). Gently move the valve to “venting.” If foam starts coming out then wait for 20 seconds and try again. Once all the pressure is released remove the lid and very carefully remove the rice with hot pads. The bottom of the rice dish will be messy from the sauce of the chicken. I just transferred my rice to a clean bowl. Remove the trivet.
- Open the bag of frozen broccoli and pour it into a colander. Run some hot water over the broccoli and then shake off excess water. Pour the broccoli into the Instant Pot. Stir the broccoli in and let it warm through. You may want to push the saute button on your Instant Pot to get the broccoli warm a little faster.
- Serve the chicken, broccoli and sauce over the rice.
I have not tried this recipe with chicken breasts. I imagine it would work but am not totally sure on the cooking time since chicken breasts cook quicker than chicken thighs.
This post contains affiliate links for Amazon. Each time you purchase something from Amazon that I’ve linked to I get a few pennies. Thanks so much for supporting my blog!