A quick version of a classic recipe made in your electric pressure cooker. The best part is that the beef and rice cook at the same time in the same Instant Pot.
For the rice:
- 1 1/2 cups long grain brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the beef:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I used 91% lean ground beef)
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Spray the bottom of the Instant Pot with non-stick cooking spray. This will help with sticking rice and clean up. Pour the rice, water, and salt in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- In an oven safe dish that fits inside your Instant Pot stir together the brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic powder, red pepper, minced ginger and tomato paste. Add in the ground beef and break the beef up with a spoon. Stir to coat the beef with the sauce.
- Place the oven safe dish on top of the trivet. Carefully lower the trivet and dish on top of the rice/water in the bottom of the Instant pot.
- Cover the Instant Pot and make sure the valve is on “sealing.” Set the timer on manual (high pressure) for 22 minutes. When the timer beeps let the pressure release naturally for about 10 minutes and then release any pressure that is left by moving the valve to “venting.”
- Using oven mitts, carefully remove the trivet and dish out of the instant pot. The bottom of the trivet will have some rice kernels on it. Stir the beef and break it up with a spoon. Scoop a portion of rice onto a plate and then top with the beef and a bit of the juices. Top with green onions and sesame seeds.
I used this Instant Pot for this recipe.
Click here for a SLOW COOKER version of this recipe.
Recipe adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything
- Method: Instant Pot