Instant Pot Caprese Chicken—an easy dump and go Instant Pot or slow cooker recipe. Chicken with a flavorful tomato sauce and sprinkled with mozzarella, parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Serve over orzo or another favorite pasta.
Note: The SLOW COOKER instructions are listed in the recipe card below.
Instant Pot Caprese Chicken
No joke! I was licking my plate clean because I loved this simple and easy sauce so much! The balsamic adds a flavor boost that left my whole family is awe of this Instant Pot caprese chicken. You really need to add this easy dump and go Instant Pot recipe to this week’s menu.
A few notes about the recipe…
Orzo–I chose to serve my chicken and sauce over orzo. I actually used the pot-in-pot method to cook the orzo. I added 1 cup orzo and 2 cups water to a pan and placed a tall trivet* in the Instant Pot with the chicken and set the covered pasta pan* on top. However, I do not recommend this to you as the orzo did come out quite soft. It was like the texture of Spaghettios (which embarrassingly I actually love).
Chicken–I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs that were frozen. You can use breasts or even bone-in chicken pieces. Frozen is fine, the pot will take a bit longer to come to pressure.
Crushed tomatoes–don’t skip these! The texture and body and flavor from the crushed tomatoes (as opposed to a can of diced tomatoes or tomato sauce) is phenomenal. I like to buy the smaller 14.5 oz cans of crushed tomatoes for recipes like this.
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2–3 Tbsp cornstarch + 2–3 Tbsp water
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese or 4 oz fresh mozzarella pearls, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
For the Instant Pot:
- Pour chicken broth into Instant Pot. Add in chicken. Drizzle chicken with olive oil and then sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder and balsamic vinegar. Dump the tomatoes on top.
- Cover and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- If a thicker sauce is desired make a cornstarch slurry. Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. In a small bowl stir together 2 Tbsp of cornstarch with 2-3 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up contents of pot quickly. Add in the mozzarella, parmesan and basil. Serve the chicken and sauce over your choice of pasta.
For the slow cooker:
- Add chicken into slow cooker. Drizzle chicken with olive oil and then sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder and balsamic vinegar. Dump the tomatoes on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Add in the mozzarella, parmesan and basil. Serve the chicken and sauce over your choice of pasta.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.