Instant Pot Chicken Spinach Parmesan Orzo–a one pot meal with chicken, pasta, tomatoes, spinach and parmesan cheese.
Instant Pot Chicken Spinach Parmesan Orzo
Looking for an easy dinner for tonight? I’ve got you covered. This chicken and orzo recipe is super fast and easy and it all cooks in your Instant Pot. You can even use frozen chicken. That’s what I did!
Because orzo cooks much quicker than chicken I used the pot-in-pot method for the orzo while the chicken cooked on the bottom of the pot. If you’re confused by “pot-in-pot” basically you throw the chicken in the bottom of your Instant Pot with the seasonings and a little broth. Then you lay a pan with water and uncooked pasta on top of the chicken. I used one of these stainless steel pans with the lid on*. While the chicken is getting the brunt of the pressure cooking the orzo cooks gently inside the pan. I like using this method for foods that need different pressure cooking times.
After the chicken has cooked you can dump the pasta into the chicken and add in some parmesan cheese and spinach. I like the fact that I didn’t even have to drain water off of the pasta. It was all soaked up.
I used frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts because that’s what I had but I also think boneless, skinless chicken thighs would be super tasty. You can use frozen or fresh chicken in this recipe. Just follow the timing directions indicated in the recipe card.
More Instant Pot Orzo Recipes You’ll Love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Chicken Spinach Parmesan Orzo I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
A one pot meal with chicken, pasta, tomatoes, spinach and parmesan cheese.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breasts
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes (fire roasted would be good)
- 12 ounces uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 ¾ cups water
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups chopped spinach
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the olive oil and swirl it around. Add in the onion and saute for 4 minutes. Then add in the garlic and saute for 20 seconds. Deglaze the pot with the chicken broth.
- Place the chicken in a single layer in the bottom of the pot. Sprinkle the salt, pepper and Italian seasoning over the chicken. Dump the tomatoes over the top of the chicken.
- Pour the orzo and water into a pan* that fits inside your Instant Pot. Using a sling* lower the pan on top of the chicken as evenly as possible. (I covered my pan)
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 12 minutes for thawed chicken and 15 minutes for frozen chicken (or follow this method for best results). When the time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Use hot pads to remove the orzo pan. Set it aside.
- Cut the chicken into pieces. Stir the parmesan and spinach into the pot. Stir the orzo into pot. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop onto serving dishes and enjoy.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.