Instant Pot Chicken Gyros–tender, juicy seasoned chicken and onions piled onto soft pita bread and topped with a creamy cucumber yogurt sauce, tomatoes and lettuce. A perfect meal for any night of the week.
Get the slow cooker version of this recipe
Instant Pot Chicken Gyros with Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
Hi there! I finished my 31 days of Instant Pot recipes project but I’m not done using the Instant Pot at my house. It’s gained a permanent spot on my countertop. I used it twice today–to make hard boiled eggs for breakfast and then to make these Instant Pot Chicken Gyros for dinner. I’m finding out that I really like the fact that I can make most all my slow cooker dinners in the Instant Pot in minutes. This comes in handy when I forget to get dinner going in the morning in the crockpot. If you haven’t purchased an Instant Pot yet, I really recommend it. If you love your slow cooker I think you’ll really like this electric pressure cooker.
Something that has been really popular lately on my website is Instant Pot Beef Gyros and Slow Cooker Beef Gyros. It’s been the most popular recipe for the past few weeks. I figured that there are many of you out there that would like a recipe for chicken gyros as well. I am so happy with the results of this recipe! All I can say is a big fat YUM! I believe there are 3 reasons that this meal was so tasty:
- I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I know there are some of you out there that only buy boneless skinless chicken breasts. For the slow cooker and the Instant Pot the best choice is bone-in chicken or boneless, skinless chicken thighs. There is a bit more fat and collagen which makes the chicken moist and tender. Lately I’m really loving buying my chicken thighs at Costco in the fresh section. They are less than $2.00 a pound and I actually threw mine into my Instant Pot totally frozen in two solid bricks and it still tasted great.
- I used full fat yogurt. The tzatziki sauce (cucumber yogurt sauce) was just perfect. I ended up using full-fat Greek yogurt for the tzatziki and I am so happy that I did. It was perfectly creamy and flavorful and I don’t think it would have tasted so great if I had used the non-fat version. I buy my yogurt at Winco lately. I love their brand and I’m so happy that I have a Winco near me now!
- I used the Papa Pita brand for my pita bread. I can find this brand at most all grocery stores and Costco too. It’s soft and has really good flavor. It’s always a really good price too!
You may be interested in these other recipes…
All my Instant Pot recipes can be found here
What Instant Pot/Slow Cooker Did You Use?
For this Instant Pot Chicken Gyros recipe I used this Instant Pot IP-LUX60 V3 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker. It’s 6 quarts, so the same size as most slow cookers. It cost me around $80 on Amazon. When I made a similar recipe in the slow cooker I used this 6 quart KitchenAid Slow Cooker.
Tender, juicy seasoned chicken and onions piled onto soft pita bread and topped with a creamy cucumber yogurt sauce, tomatoes and lettuce. A perfect meal for any night of the week.
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 9 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 Tbsp lemon pepper seasoning
- Juice from 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- Pita bread
- Lettuce for topping
- Tomatoes for topping
For the Tzatziki sauce:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used full fat yogurt for optimal taste)
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced into tiny pieces
- 1 Tbsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the chicken:
- Place chicken, onions, garlic, olive oil, oregano, allspice, lemon pepper, lemon juice, red wine vinegar and water in your Instant Pot.
- Cover and press the manual button. Set the timer for 20 minutes if chicken is thawed and set the timer for 30 minutes if the chicken is frozen. The Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure if you’re chicken is thawed and probably twice as long if your chicken is frozen. Once the timer beeps let the pressure release naturally.
- Remove the lid. The chicken should be really tender and shreddable. Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken from the pot and place it on a cutting board. Shred the chicken. If serving immediately you can then place chicken on the pita and top with Tzatziki and desired toppings. If serving later, place chicken back into the pot and let it marinate in the juices and keep the pressure cooker on the warm setting. When ready to serve, use a slotted spoon to remove shredded chicken.
For the Tzatziki sauce:
- In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, cucumber, dill, salt and garlic powder. Stir until combined.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with gyros.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot for this recipe.
Click here for the slow cooker version of this recipe.
- Serving Size: 1 pita
- Calories: 553
- Sodium: 544 mg
- Fat: 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 38 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 55.4 g
- Cholesterol: 151 mg
Send Me Free Recipes
If you’d like to see all the new recipes that I’m making sign up to receive my emails below! This is a free service and you can unsubscribe at any time.
This post contains affiliate links for Amazon. Each time you purchase something from Amazon that I’ve linked to I get a few pennies. Thanks so much for supporting my blog!