Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken—tender bites of chicken, sweet pineapple chunks and colorful bell peppers served with a sweet and sour sauce. All made in one pot, your crockpot.
Related: Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken
If you’re a fan of chicken surrounded in a sweet and punchy sauce with pineapples and bell peppers you’re going to love this easy recipe for slow cooker sweet and sour chicken. My recipe is not breaded and fried so it’s a bit lighter than most sweet and sour chicken recipes.
A few notes about the ingredients…
Chicken: I love using boneless skinless chicken thighs with this recipe. The chicken stays moist and tender and has so much flavor. You can also use chicken breasts for this recipe, although they won’t stay as tender.
Peppers: I had a yellow and orange pepper leftover in my fridge but you can also use a green or red bell pepper. Use whatever you prefer!
Low Sodium Soy Sauce: Remember you can always add salt but you can’t subtract it. Starting with a low sodium soy sauce gives you flavor but doesn’t overpower with saltiness.
What should I serve with slow cooker sweet and sour chicken?
This chicken, sauce and veggies are perfect served over rice. There’s a lot of sauce so it’s nice to have something that will soak it up! I like jasmine rice for this recipe, but any rice will do. You can even make cauliflower rice for additional veggies in your diet.
Can I freeze the leftovers?
Bell peppers can be frozen when they are blanched so that the crunch remains. If you freeze the leftovers of this sweet and sour chicken and reheat it the texture of the peppers might be off.
Try these other Asian-Inspired Slow Cooker Recipes…
Want more tried and true slow cooker recipes?
Tender bites of chicken, sweet pineapple chunks and colorful bell peppers served with a sweet and sour sauce. All made in one pot, your crockpot.
- 2 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (or 2 pounds breasts)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 bell peppers (I used 1 orange and 1 yellow), cored and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into 1 inch chunks
- Trim your chicken of excess fat and cut it into 1 inch cubes. Add the chicken, salt, pepper and cornstarch into your slow cooker. Toss the chicken to coat it in the cornstarch.
- In a bowl combine the vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, garlic, juice from the can of pineapple, and brown sugar. Whisk it and then pour it over the chicken. Add the pineapple chunks, bell peppers and onions into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Stir and serve over rice or cauliflower rice.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.