Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken—tender bites of chicken, sweet pineapple chunks and colorful bell peppers served with a sweet and sour sauce. All made in one pot, your Instant Pot.
Related: Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken
Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken
If you’re a fan of chicken surrounded in a sweet and punchy sauce with pineapples and bell peppers you’re going to love this easy recipe for Instant Pot sweet and sour chicken. My recipe is not breaded and fried so it’s a bit lighter than most sweet and sour chicken recipes.
A few notes about the ingredients…
Chicken: I love using boneless skinless chicken thighs with this recipe. The chicken stays moist and tender and has so much flavor. You can also use chicken breasts for this recipe, although they won’t stay as tender.
Peppers: I had a yellow and orange pepper leftover in my fridge but you can also use a green or red bell pepper. Use whatever you prefer!
Low Sodium Soy Sauce: Remember you can always add salt but you can’t subtract it. Starting with a low sodium soy sauce gives you flavor but doesn’t overpower with saltiness.
What should I serve with Instant Pot sweet and sour chicken?
This chicken, sauce and veggies are perfect served over rice. There’s a lot of sauce so it’s nice to have something that will soak it up! I like jasmine rice for this recipe, but any rice will do. You can even make cauliflower rice for additional veggies in your diet.
Can I freeze the leftovers?
Bell peppers can be frozen when they are blanched so that the crunch remains. If you freeze the leftovers of this sweet and sour chicken and reheat it the texture of the peppers might be off.
Try these other Asian-Inspired Instant Pot Recipes…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.
Tender bites of chicken, sweet pineapple chunks and colorful bell peppers served with a sweet and sour sauce. All made in one pot, your Instant Pot.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (or 2 pounds breasts)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks
- 2 bell peppers (I used 1 orange and 1 yellow), cored and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch + 2 Tbsp water
- Prepare your chicken. Blot it dry with a paper towel. Then trim off excess fat. I like to use kitchen shears. Then cut the chicken into bite size chunks.
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Add in the chicken, salt and pepper and saute for 2 minutes. Then turn off the Instant Pot.
- In a bowl stir together the vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, garlic and juice from the can of pineapple. Add the mixture to the Instant Pot. Add peppers and onion into the pot. Add in as much pineapple from the can as you prefer (I added in the whole can but it was a little too much, I thought).
- Cover your Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute. Stir in the brown sugar. In a small bowl stir together 2 Tbsp of cornstarch with 2 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up contents of pot quickly.
- Serve the chicken, veggies and sauce over rice or cauliflower rice.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. Use the same recipe for the 8 quart and halve the recipe for the 3 quart pot (same cooking time).
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.