Slow Cooker Chicken Veggie Korma—a rich and creamy mild curry-like dish with tender bites of chicken and vegetables.
Related: INSTANT POT Chicken Veggie Korma recipe
Slow Cooker Chicken Veggie Korma
Every now and then an email subscriber or FB group friend will send me a “normal” recipe that they love. They wonder “could I make this in the slow cooker?” These are my favorite recipes to try because the base of a great recipe is already there. It just needs a few tweaks to make it slow cooker friendly.
This was surely the case with this Slow Cooker Chicken Veggie Korma. My version changes it up a bit and adds chicken. The original recipe comes from a vegetarian version on Allrecipes that email subscriber, Carey, sent me.
I wasn’t familiar with the term “Korma” before I read this recipe. Korma is a mild curry made from various spices and often has a yogurt sauce or nuts. If you’re nervous about making Indian food then this is a good recipe for you to start with. It is so easy and doesn’t require any crazy or hard-to-find ingredients. The sauce is luscious. The heavy cream helps that a lot. It’s worth it. Believe me.
My son took the leftovers to school in his mini crockpot (did you see my post on Instagram about that?) with some naan bread.
View this post on Instagram
Sixth graders are loving their mini crockpots at lunch! Lol! Last year Skyler started taking a mini crockpot to school and plugging it in with the permission of his teacher. I really love it because I can just send leftovers with him every day for lunch. This year five of his friends decided to join him and they purchased their own mini crockpots. I just wonder if the teacher has a power strip in her room? Crazy kids! Crazy that the crockpot is trending in the six grade! @crockpot #crockpot #minicrockpot #lunch #trending #leftoversfordays
I don’t make my own naan bread but if I did Barbara’s recipe looks really good and quite easy.
You’ll Also Like…
Slow Cooker Yellow Chicken Curry
Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice Bowl
Slow Cooker Cheater Korean Beef with Brown Rice
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
To make Slow Cooker Chicken Veggie Korma I used my Ninja Auto-iQ 6 Quart Slow Cooker.* My favorite feature of this slow cooker is that it has a stove top function. This is perfect for sauteing the onions before you slow cook.
A rich and creamy mild curry-like dish with tender bites of chicken and vegetables.
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp grated ginger root
- 1/2 pound (8 oz) Russet potatoes (about 2 small), peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp cold water
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat a pan over medium high heat. Add in the oil and the onions. Saute the onions for about 4-5 minutes. Then add in the chicken chunks and garlic. Stir for about 30 seconds. Add the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add in the broth, ginger, potatoes, carrots, peppers, salt, curry and tomato sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, until veggies are tender.
- Stir in the peas. Temper the cream by adding a few tablespoons of the hot liquid into the cream and whisking it well. Then dump the cream into the slow cooker and stir it in. Thicken the korma with a cornstarch slurry. Turn the slow cooker to high. In a small bowl mix 3 Tbsp cornstarch with 3 tbsp cold water until smooth. Stir the slurry into the slow cooker. The korma will thicken in a few minutes.
- Serve korma with rice or naan bread and top with 1 Tbsp of cilantro and cashews on each dish.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Indian
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.