Slow Cooker Southwest Shredded Chicken Bowls–a stew that is bursting with flavor but not too spicy. It has tender shredded chicken, pinto beans, fire roasted tomatoes, green chiles and taco seasoning. Serve this stew over rice or serve it plain for an easy weeknight dinner.
Get the INSTANT POT southwest shredded chicken bowls recipe here
Slow Cooker Southwest Shredded Chicken Bowls
These bowls are bursting with flavor! I was so pleased with this dinner I couldn’t stop sneaking bites. The fire roasted tomatoes and green chiles give the chicken tons of flavor–but don’t worry it’s not too spicy.
If you don’t want to make rice you could serve this chicken plain, serve it over corn tortilla chips or rolled up in a freshly cooked tortilla. If you’re trying to go the low carb route you could even eat this over cauliflower rice.
More slow cooker chicken recipes you’ll love…
What slow cooker did you use?
To make Slow Cooker Southwest Shredded Chicken Bowls I used my Ninja Auto-iQ 6 Quart Slow Cooker.* My favorite feature of this slow cooker is that it has a stove top function. This is perfect for sauteing or browning before you slow cook. This slow cooker has four manual cooking functions: slow cook, stove top sear/Saute, steam, and bake.Print
A stew that is bursting with flavor but not too spicy. It has tender shredded chicken, pinto beans, fire roasted tomatoes, green chiles and taco seasoning. Serve this stew over rice or plain for an easy weeknight dinner.
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pound chicken breasts (frozen or thawed)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 oz) can mild diced green chiles
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp cold water
- Salt and pepper
- Optional topping ideas: grated cheddar, sour cream, diced red pepper
- Add onion, broth, chicken, tomatoes, beans, chiles and taco seasoning to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours for thawed chicken or 6 hours for frozen chicken.
- Remove the lid and use tongs to place the chicken on a cutting board. Shred the chicken and then add it back into the pot.
- In a small bowl stir 3 Tbsp cornstarch into 3 Tbsp of cold water until smooth. Stir the cornstarch slurry into the slow cooker and turn the slow cooker to high. The stew will thicken in about 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop into bowls (with rice, if desired) and top with any desired toppings.
This recipe can easily be gluten free! Just double check the taco seasoning for wheat. McCormick’s makes packets that say gluten free right on the front. Double check your chicken broth to be sure it does not contain gluten.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Southwestern
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Slow Cooker Southwest Shredded Chicken Bowls? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.