Instant Pot Southwest Shredded Chicken Bowls–a stew that is bursting with flavor but not too spicy. It has tender shredded chicken, pinto beans, fire roasted tomatoes, green chiles and taco seasoning. Serve this stew over rice or plain for an easy weeknight dinner.
Get the SLOW COOKER version of the recipe here
Instant Pot Southwest Shredded Chicken Bowls
These bowls are bursting with flavor! I was so pleased with this dinner I couldn’t stop sneaking bites. The fire roasted tomatoes and green chiles give the chicken tons of flavor–but don’t worry it’s not too spicy.
I love the option of cooking rice at the same time as the chicken in the same pot. I used my new OXO pressure cooker sling* and one of these pans* to cook my rice in. I cooked jasmine rice. I am not sure exactly how other types of rice would turn out. But if you were to try another type of rice I would go for basmati or white rice.
If you don’t want to make rice you could serve this chicken plain, serve it over corn tortilla chips or rolled up in a freshly cooked tortilla. If you’re trying to go the low carb route you could even eat this over cauliflower rice.
More Instant Pot chicken recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Southwest Shredded Chicken Bowls I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
A stew that is bursting with flavor but not too spicy. It has tender shredded chicken, pinto beans, fire roasted tomatoes, green chiles and taco seasoning. Serve this stew over rice or plain for an easy weeknight dinner.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pound chicken breasts (frozen or thawed)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 oz) can mild diced green chiles
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- Optional: jasmine rice for cooking pot in pot
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp cold water
- Salt and pepper
- Optional topping ideas: grated cheddar, sour cream, diced red pepper
- Saute onion: Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Add in the onion and saute for about 4 minutes. Add in the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pot. Lay the chicken in the bottom of the pot in one layer, if possible.
- Add ingredients: Dump the tomatoes, beans, chiles and taco seasoning on top of the chicken.
- Optional step pot-in-pot rice: If you want to cook rice at the same time then fill a pan that fits inside your Instant Pot with 2 cups of water and 2 cups of uncooked jasmine rice. Place a trivet on top of the chicken and then place the pan on top of the trivet. I used this silicone sling/trivet.*
- Pressure cook: Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 12 minutes for thawed chicken or 15 minutes for frozen chicken. When the time is up let the pressure release for 5 minutes on its own (L0:05) and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid (if making rice place the rice pan aside).
- Shred chicken: Use tongs to place the chicken on a cutting board. Shred the chicken and then add it back into the pot.
- Thicken: Turn the Instant Pot to saute. In a small bowl stir 3 Tbsp cornstarch into 3 Tbsp of cold water until smooth. Stir the cornstarch slurry into the Instant Pot. The stew will thicken quickly. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve: Scoop into bowls (with rice, if desired) and top with any desired toppings.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
This recipe can easily be gluten free! Just double check the taco seasoning for wheat. McCormick’s makes packets that say gluten free right on the front. Double check your chicken broth to be sure it does not contain gluten.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Southwestern
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Southwest Shredded Chicken Bowls? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.