A stew that is bursting with flavor but not too spicy. It has tender shredded chicken, pinto beans, fire roasted tomatoes, green chiles and taco seasoning. Serve this stew over rice or plain for an easy weeknight dinner.
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ pound chicken breasts (frozen or thawed)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 oz) can mild diced green chiles
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp cold water
- Salt and pepper
- Optional topping ideas: grated cheddar, sour cream, diced red pepper
- Add onion, broth, chicken, tomatoes, beans, chiles and taco seasoning to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours for thawed chicken or 6 hours for frozen chicken.
- Remove the lid and use tongs to place the chicken on a cutting board. Shred the chicken and then add it back into the pot.
- In a small bowl stir 3 Tbsp cornstarch into 3 Tbsp of cold water until smooth. Stir the cornstarch slurry into the slow cooker and turn the slow cooker to high. The stew will thicken in about 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop into bowls (with rice, if desired) and top with any desired toppings.
This recipe can easily be gluten free! Just double check the taco seasoning for wheat. McCormick’s makes packets that say gluten free right on the front. Double check your chicken broth to be sure it does not contain gluten.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Southwestern