Slow Cooker Pesto Chicken Risotto–creamy no fuss and no stir pesto risotto with tender bites of chicken made in your crockpot.
Get the INSTANT POT version of the recipe here
Slow Cooker Pesto Chicken Risotto
Risotto is so delicious. But when made in the traditional way on the stove it is annoying. Stir stir stir stir stir. Enter into the picture the slow cooker…it transforms the process of making risotto into an easy hands-off process. The rice comes out creamy and perfectly cooked. I loved the addition of pesto to this risotto! Pesto is just so flavorful and it gives this rice a wonderful flavor. I chose to add chicken into my risotto to make it more of a meal…it worked perfectly. I used chicken breasts but you could also use boneless chicken thighs. I chose to cut up my chicken into pieces after it was cooked and then I stirred it all together. But you can also just serve the chicken in whole pieces if you’d like.
More recipes you’ll love
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
To make Slow Cooker Pesto Chicken Risotto I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.* I love this slow cooker (you can see me talking about it in a video here). It cooks low and evenly. I love the medium heat choice because most slow cookers that I’ve seen only have the option of cooking on low or high. If you’re going to buy just one slow cooker, this is the one that I recommend.Print
Creamy no fuss and no stir pesto risotto with tender bites of chicken made in your crockpot.
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup long grained brown rice
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a microwave safe dish, stir together the onion, butter, garlic, rice and 1/2 cup broth.
- Microwave for 4 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds.
- Transfer to a greased slow cooker.
- Stir in the remaining 3 cups of broth and the pesto. Nestle the chicken into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for about 3 hours. (mine took exactly 3 hours…yours may take more or less depending on your slow cooker)
- Stir and break up chicken with a spoon. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately (this tastes best served right away, it doesn’t hold up very well on the warm setting)
I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.*
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 270
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 537 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Protein: 21 g
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for slow cooker Pesto Chicken Risotto? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.