Makes 6 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 3-4 quart
1 cup diced onion (1/2 of 1 large onion)
2 Tbsp butter
1 garlic clove, minced
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 cup long grained brown rice
1/2 cup broth (or 1/2 cup water + 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon)
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1. In a microwave safe dish, stir together the onion, butter, garlic, mushrooms, rice and 1/2 cup broth.
2. Microwave for 4 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds.
3. Transfer to a greased slow cooker.
4. Stir in the 2 cups broth and water.
5. Cover and cook on HIGH for about 3 hours. (mine took exactly 3 hours…yours may take more or less depending on your slow cooker)
6. Stir in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste and vinegar.
6. Serve immediately (this tastes best served right away, it doesn’t hold up very well on the warm setting)
I really liked this experiment. I wasn’t sure how it was going to taste but I was very happy with the results! And the fact that it was pretty much hands off was awesome. I don’t think I’ll make risotto the regular way ever!
The rice was creamy and the texture was spot on. The flavor at the end needed a little boost and the Parmesan and vinegar helped a lot with that. Of course, salt and pepper helped with that as well. I will be making this again and experiment with different flavor combinations! 4 stars.