Slow Cooker Chicken and Brown Rice–whole chicken legs are seasoned and cooked until tender in your slow cooker and then browned under your broiler. Brown rice is cooked alongside the chicken and comes out with a creamy consistency–almost risotto-like. And no cream of soups are used in this recipe!
Get the INSTANT POT version of the recipe here
Slow Cooker Chicken and Brown Rice
When I was growing up one of the recipes that my mom would make was chicken and rice. I believe it had rice, water, chicken, cream of mushroom soup, salt, pepper and paprika in it. It was one of the recipes I took with me to college and made when I was married too. I’m sure you’ve had something similar, right?
Well this recipe for slow cooker chicken and brown rice brings back memories from that dish but it is 10 times better. First off, you don’t use any cream of soups. Second, you use hearty and healthy brown rice. Third, it is cooked in your slow cooker which ensures that the chicken comes out totally tear apart tender.
I know there are many of you that would prefer to cook with boneless chicken but believe me for this recipe you need to stick with bone-in chicken. The chicken legs release flavor and juices while they cook to produce a flavorful rice. I loved crisping up the top of my chicken legs in the oven under the broiler. The skin gets all brown and crispy and delicious. And it only takes an extra 5 minutes…totally worth it.
More recipes you’ll love…
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
For slow cooker chicken and brown rice I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.* I love this slow cooker (you can see me talking about it in a video here). It cooks low and evenly. I love the medium heat choice because most slow cookers that I’ve seen only have the option of cooking on low or high. If you’re going to buy just one slow cooker, this is the one that I recommend.Print
Chicken legs are seasoned and cooked until tender in your slow cooker and then browned under your broiler. Brown rice is cooked alongside the chicken and comes out with a creamy consistency–almost risotto-like. And no cream of soups are used in this recipe!
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds chicken legs
- Montreal Chicken Seasoning* (this is made by McCormick Grill Mates, you can also use another seasoning of your choice)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a microwave safe dish, stir together the onion, butter, garlic, rice and 1/2 cup broth. Microwave for 4 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds. Transfer to a greased slow cooker.
- Stir in the 2 cups broth and water.
- Place the chicken on top of the rice. Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon of the Montreal chicken seasoning.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for about 4 hours. (mine took exactly 4 hours…yours may take more or less depending on your slow cooker).
- Turn your oven to the broil setting and move the rack to 6-8 inches below the heating element. Carefully remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place it on a sheet pan. Sprinkle the chicken liberally with more of the Montreal chicken seasoning. Put the sheet pan in the oven and let the chicken get crispy on top. This will take about 5 minutes, maybe a little more. I like to rotate my pan halfway through.
- Stir the Parmesan cheese into the rice. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately (this tastes best served right away, it doesn’t hold up very well on the warm setting)
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
Send Me Free Recipes
Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.