Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef—better than Chinese takeout! Saucy tender bites of beef with a savory and sweet sauce sprinkled with sesame seeds and scallions.
Related: INSTANT POT Mongolian Beef recipe
Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
Trying to make Mongolian beef in my slow cooker has been on my to do list forever. I’m sad that it took me so long to get to it because it is so tasty and I’ve been missing out on this for months! My whole family loved the tender bites of beef. The pot was totally empty at the end of dinner.
Can I use another cut of beef?
I used beef chuck steaks and sliced them across the grain into half inch strips. They were super tender. Beef stew meat will work also with the same cooking time. Another choice of cut is flank steak. Slice it into strips and slow cook for 4 hours on low.
What should I serve with Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef?
Slow Cooker Mongolian beef is perfect with rice and steamed broccoli on the side. Riced cauliflower also works in the place of normal rice.
Can I freeze the leftovers?
Yes you can! The leftovers will freeze nicely. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months in the freezer.
More Slow Cooker Beef Recipes…
Want more tried and true slow cooker recipes?
Better than Chinese takeout! Saucy tender bites of beef with a savory and sweet sauce sprinkled with sesame seeds and scallions.
- 1 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 pounds beef chuck steaks, sliced across the grain into 1/2 inch thin strips
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh minced ginger
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- Sesame seeds and sliced scallions or green onions, for topping
- In a large bowl toss beef with flour to coat. Discard any excess flour.
- In a 12 inch skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Add half of the beef. Brown each side for 2 minutes each. Place beef in slow cooker and repeat with the second batch of beef. Scrape any bits from the pan into the slow cooker. Use some of the broth to deglaze, if necessary.
- Whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, pepper and broth. Pour the mixture over the beef in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours until beef is tender. Stir in the sesame oil and rice vinegar.
- Serve the beef topped with sesame seeds and scallions.
To make gluten free use gluten free Tamari instead of soy sauce.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Chinese
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.