Instant Pot Mongolian Beef—better than Chinese takeout! Saucy tender bites of beef with a savory and sweet sauce sprinkled with sesame seeds and scallions.
Related: SLOW COOKER Mongolian Beef recipe
Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
Trying to make Mongolian beef in my Instant Pot has been on my to do list forever. I’m sad that it took me so long to get to it because it is so tasty and I’ve been missing out on this for months! My whole family loved the tender bites of beef. The pot was totally empty at the end of dinner.
Can I use another cut of beef?
I used beef chuck steaks and sliced them across the grain into half inch strips. They were super tender, the 20 minute cooking time worked well along with the natural pressure release. Beef stew meat will work also with the same cooking time. Another choice of cut is flank steak. Slice it into strips and pressure cook for 10 minutes with a 10 minute natural pressure release.
What should I serve with Instant Pot Mongolian Beef?
Instant Pot Mongolian beef is perfect with rice and steamed broccoli on the side (did you know you can cook broccoli with a zero minute pressure cooking time?). Riced cauliflower also works in the place of normal rice.
And for your knowledge here is a list of different types of rice and how to make them in the Instant Pot:
Can I cook the rice at the same time?
I did not cook my rice at the same time as my beef. However you can! Use the pot in pot method. Place appropriate amount of water and rice in a pan and cover the pan*. After step 2 in the recipe place a long legged trivet* into your Instant Pot on top of the beef. Then place your rice pan on top of the trivet. Seal the pot and the rice will cook perfectly along with your beef.
Can I freeze the leftovers?
Yes you can! The leftovers will freeze nicely. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months in the freezer.
More Instant Pot Beef Recipes…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.
Better than Chinese takeout! Saucy tender bites of beef with a savory and sweet sauce sprinkled with sesame seeds and scallions.
- 1 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 2 ½ pounds beef chuck steaks, sliced across the grain into ½ inch thin strips
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh minced ginger
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp cold water
- Sesame seeds and sliced scallions or green onions, for topping
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Working in batches place the beef strips into the pot in one single layer. Sear the meat on each side for about 1 minute each. Move the beef to a plate. Turn off the saute setting.
- In a bowl whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, pepper and broth. Pour the mixture into the Instant Pot and scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pot. Add the beef back into the pot. Stir.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 20 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10-15 minutes. Then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the sesame oil and rice vinegar. Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. In a small bowl stir together 3 Tbsp of cornstarch with 3-4 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up the sauce quickly.
- Once the sauce it thickened turn off the Instant Pot. Serve beef topped with sesame seeds and scallions. This beef and sauce is perfect served over rice with a side of steamed broccoli.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
To make gluten free use gluten free Tamari sauce instead of soy sauce.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Chinese
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.