Slow Cooker Sesame Beef with Zucchini—tender chunks of beef with bites of zucchini in an easy stir fry sauce.
Get the INSTANT POT sesame beef with zucchini recipe here
Slow Cooker Sesame Beef with Zucchini
It’s that time of year when zucchini are popping up in gardens and need to be used up. This is one of my favorite dishes that uses zucchini. (I also really love zucchini linguine.) The zucchini gets slightly cooked but not mushy and the savory sauce envelopes the sliced zucchini.
If you’re growing zucchini make sure to pick those babies every single day or else they’ll grow to the size of a baseball bat and then they don’t taste as good. I love using the smallest zucchinis for this recipe because they taste better and are much more tender. I would suggest using the huge zucchinis for baked goods, like my zucchini banana bread.
What if you don’t like zucchini? Well, lucky for you there are several other vegetables you can use. What about mushrooms? Or green beans? Or broccoli florets? Or even cauliflower? All of these veggies would taste good served with this beef and sauce. You can steam them on the stove or in the microwave and then add them into the crockpot after the beef is done cooking.
What did you eat this with? I cooked up a package of ramen noodles and discarded the seasoning packet. It was nice to have a little something to soak up the savory sauce. You can also eat the sesame beef with rice or cauliflower rice.
More Slow Cooker Beef Recipes…
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
To make slow cooker sesame beef with zucchini I used my small 3 quart slow cooker.* I love this little slow cooker because it’s super cute and it’s just the perfect size for side dishes, drinks or small meals. It fits into my sink so I can easily hand wash it and it fits in the bottom or top of my dishwasher so I can easily stick it in there to get clean. I try to use this 3 quart slow cooker any time I can!
Tender chunks of beef with bites of zucchini in an easy stir fry sauce.
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb beef stew meat or chuck roast cut into bite size pieces
- ½ cup chicken broth or beef broth
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch + 2 Tbsp cold water
- 2 small zucchinis (I used one green and one yellow), sliced
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Heat a pan over medium high heat. Add in the canola oil. Add in the beef and brown on each side for about 2 minutes. Add the browned meat to the slow cooker.
- In a bowl stir together the broth, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, garlic and ginger. Pour the mixture over the meat.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for about 6 hours, or until beef is tender.
- Remove the lid. Turn slow cooker to high. In a small bowl stir together the cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir the mixture into the slow cooker. Stir the sliced zucchinis into the slow cooker. Let the sauce thicken and the zucchinis get soft for about 10 minutes.
- Serve and sprinkle each serving with sesame seeds.
To make gluten free: use gluten free broth and gluten free soy sauce or tamari
To make low carb: don’t thicken your sauce with the cornstarch
- Category: Beef
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Asian
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.