Slow Cooker Mexican Rice and Beans with Avocados–Make this easy, one pot Mexican brown rice and black bean casserole for your Meatless Monday meal. It’s full of flavor thanks to jalapeno, spices and salsa. Top with cheese, sour cream and avocado for a creamy and comforting meal.
Meatless meals don’t have to be boring. This colorful and flavorful meal with brighten up your January. It’s also a perfect idea to bring to a potluck! It’s full of all sorts of southwest goodness–salsa, jalapenos, avocado, sour cream, corn, green chiles, cumin, chili powder and of course a little bit of cheese! My kids loved this meal and asked for seconds.
More Meatless Meals You May Like…
- Cajun Beans and Rice
- Creamy Cauliflower Broccoli Soup
- Alfredo Salsa Tortellini
- Zucchini Lasagna Roll-ups
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced
- 1 1/4 cup brown rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 (4 oz) can green chiles
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups picante sauce or salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 avocado, diced
- Add garlic, jalapeno, brown rice, broth, chiles, beans, salsa, corn, chili powder, cumin, pepper, salt and bay leave to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for about 3 hours, or until rice is cooked through.
- Discard the bay leaf. Sprinkle cheddar over the top and let it melt. It will only take a couple of minutes.
- Top individual servings with cilantro, a dollop of sour cream and avocados.
Ideal slow cooker: 3 quart (I used my casserole crock)
- Method: Slow Cooker