Cajun Beans and Rice–a meatless, saucy, cajun seasoned dish that uses dried beans in the slow cooker or on the stovetop. A perfect dish for Mardi Gras.
This recipe is brought to you by my friends at Hurst’s Hambeens. Thanks so much for supporting my blog and it’s sponsors.
Cajun Beans and Rice
Tomorrow is Mardi Gras and I’m thinking that you should make these Cajun seasoned beans and rice for dinner to celebrate! These almost creamy cajun beans and rice contain just a handful of ingredients but the flavor packs a punch. You start with a package of Hurst’s Cajun 15 Bean Soup. You can find these at the grocery store next to other packages of dried beans. Hurst’s Cajun 15 Bean Soup contains 15 varieties of dried beans–namely northern, pinto, lima, yelloweye, garbanzos, green split peas, kidney, cranberry bean, white, pink, small red, yellow split pea, lentil, navy, white kidney and black beans. I love making dried beans in my slow cooker but for this recipe I actually ended up cooking it on the stove. You can use either cooking method that you prefer. Basically you’ll cook the beans until they’re soft, add some tomato sauce, the magical seasoning packet and a couple of other ingredients. You’ll end up with a healthy, meatless meal that tastes amazing served over rice. It’s not too spicy so don’t worry if you’re not a fan of spice. And if you are a fan of spice you can always add some more kick with some hot sauce!
Other dried beans recipes
If you’d like to see all the recipes I’ve made with Hurst’s Beans you can click here. And here are some others that look amazing…
And make sure to visit Hurst’s Beans on Facebook for more recipe inspiration!
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
For these Cajun beans and rice I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker. I love this slow cooker (you can see me talking about it in a video here). It cooks low and evenly. I love the medium heat choice because most slow cookers that I’ve seen only have the option of cooking on low or high. If you’re going to buy just one slow cooker, this is the one that I recommend.
Send Me Free Slow Cooker Recipes
Thanks for stopping by! Do you love crockpot recipes? Wish you had more good ones that your family would actually eat? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
A meatless, saucy, cajun seasoned dish that uses dried beans in the slow cooker or on the stovetop. A perfect dish for Mardi Gras.
- 1 (20 oz) package Hurst’s Cajun 15 Bean Soup with seasoning packet
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- Salt, to taste
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Hot cooked rice, for serving
- For cooking on the stovetop: Open package of beans and reserve seasoning packet for later. Rinse the beans. Place rinsed beans with 10 cups of water in a large pot on the stove over medium high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and let simmer for about 90 minutes, or until beans are soft and tender. Stir every once in a while. For cooking in a slow cooker: reserve seasoning packet for later, allow the beans to soak overnight, or 8 hours. After soaking, drain the water. Place beans in large slow cooker with 10 cups of water. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until tender.
- Drain the beans of excess water. Place beans back in pot or in slow cooker. Add in tomato sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and dried parsley. Add in the seasoning packet. Stir. Add in salt to taste.
- Serve beans with a scoop of rice and cilantro.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
This post contains affiliate links for Amazon. Each time you purchase something from Amazon that I’ve linked to I get a few pennies. Thanks so much for supporting my blog!