This cheesy and creamy chicken casserole with tortillas and Rotel has its roots in Texas but that doesn’t mean us non-Texans can’t enjoy it too! Whip up my version with your slow cooker and NO cream of soups!
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 oz) can rotel (I used mild)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 11 (6 inch) soft corn tortillas, cut or torn into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups grated medium or sharp cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Sour cream, for topping
- Add broth, onion, chicken, rotel, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano and salt into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Place chicken on a cutting board. Shred or dice into pieces. Add the chicken back into the slow cooker.
- Turn the slow cooker to high. In a bowl stir together the half and half and the cornstarch together until smooth. Stir the mixture into the slow cooker. It should thicken up shortly.
- Add in the tortillas and the cheese. Stir. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop onto serving dishes and top with cilantro and a dollop of sour cream.
I used my Ninja Auto-iQ 6 Quart Slow Cooker.*
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American