Slow Cooker Homemade Spaghetti Sauce–a meaty slow cooker spaghetti sauce that takes minutes to get going and then simmers all day in your crockpot. I like to serve this sauce over any pasta or over spaghetti squash.
Get the INSTANT POT version of the recipe here
Slow Cooker Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
Whenever I ask my son what he would like to eat for dinner he says spaghetti. I often just use jarred sauce but I thought it would be fun to mix things up and make a homemade spaghetti sauce in my crockpot. It was almost just as easy as opening a jar, and I liked the taste better. I also love knowing what’s going into my food.
I know many homemade spaghetti sauce recipes call for ground beef but I wanted something with a bit more flare so I used ground Italian sausage. I also used a combination of crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes. Plus plenty of seasonings. We served this over spaghetti squash, also requested by my son.
More recipes you’ll love…
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
To make slow cooker Homemade Spaghetti Sauce I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.* I love this slow cooker (you can see me talking about it in a video here). It cooks low and evenly. I love the medium heat choice because most slow cookers that I’ve seen only have the option of cooking on low or high. If you’re going to buy just one slow cooker, this is the one that I recommend.Print
A meaty slow cooker spaghetti sauce that takes minutes to get going and then simmers all day in your crockpot. I like to serve this sauce over any pasta or over spaghetti squash.
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage (I use mild)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a pan over medium high heat on the stove. Add in the sausage and break it up with a wooden spoon. Brown the meat for about 5 minutes and then add in the onions and cook for about 3 more minutes. Transfer the meat and onions to the slow cooker.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, basil, garlic powder, oregano and brown sugar. Stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Remove the lid and stir. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the sauce over pasta or spaghetti squash.
I cooked my spaghetti on the stove. I reserved a little of the pasta water, about 1/2 cup, and stirred it into the sauce. This helps the sauce stick to the pasta.
I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.*
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup of sauce
- Calories: 145
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 551 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Protein: 7 g
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for slow cooker homemade spaghetti sauce? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.