Instant Pot Homemade Spaghetti Sauce–a meaty pressure cooker spaghetti sauce that only takes 10 minutes under pressure to taste like a sauce that has simmered all day. I like to serve this sauce over any pasta or over spaghetti squash.
Get the SLOW COOKER version of the recipe here
Instant Pot Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
Whenever I ask my son what he would like to eat for dinner he says spaghetti. I often just use jarred sauce but I thought it would be fun to mix things up and make a homemade spaghetti sauce in my Instant Pot. It was almost just as easy as opening a jar, and I liked the taste better. I also love knowing what’s going into my food.
I know many homemade spaghetti sauce recipes call for ground beef but I wanted something with a bit more flare so I used ground Italian sausage. I also used a combination of crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes. Plus plenty of seasonings. We served this over spaghetti squash, which we also cooked in an Instant Pot (a separate one). I had hoped that I would be able to cook the sauce and the squash at the same time and in the same pot but there wasn’t enough room in my 6 quart for both. Luckily I have two Instant Pots!
More recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Homemade Spaghetti Sauce I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
A meaty pressure cooker spaghetti sauce that only takes 10 minutes under pressure to taste like a sauce that has simmered all day. I like to serve this sauce over any pasta or over spaghetti squash.
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage (I use mild)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute and when the display says HOT add in the sausage. Use a wooden spoon to break up the sausage and brown it for about 5 minutes. Add in the onion and let the onions soften for about 3 minutes. Deglaze the pot with the beef broth. Then add in the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, basil, garlic powder, oregano and brown sugar.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to “sealing.” Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes on high pressure. When the time is up let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting.
- Remove the lid and stir the sauce. Discard the bay leaf. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve the sauce with pasta.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
I cooked my spaghetti on the stove. I reserved a little of the pasta water, about 1/2 cup, and stirred it into the sauce. This helps the sauce stick to the pasta.
If you like a thicker sauce you can turn the Instant Pot to the saute function (less) and let it simmer for 10 or so minutes after it has pressure cooked.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup of sauce
- Calories: 145
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 551 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Protein: 7 g
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for instant pot homemade spaghetti sauce? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.