A meaty slow cooker spaghetti sauce that takes minutes to get going and then simmers all day in your crockpot. I like to serve this sauce over any pasta or over spaghetti squash.
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage (I use mild)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a pan over medium high heat on the stove. Add in the sausage and break it up with a wooden spoon. Brown the meat for about 5 minutes and then add in the onions and cook for about 3 more minutes. Transfer the meat and onions to the slow cooker.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, basil, garlic powder, oregano and brown sugar. Stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Remove the lid and stir. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the sauce over pasta or spaghetti squash.
I cooked my spaghetti on the stove. I reserved a little of the pasta water, about 1/2 cup, and stirred it into the sauce. This helps the sauce stick to the pasta.
I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.*
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup of sauce
- Calories: 145
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 551 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Protein: 7 g