Slow Cooker Chicken and Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce–tender bites of chicken with a bold and rich basil, parmesan and sun-dried tomato sauce.
Get the INSTANT POT version of the recipe here
Slow Cooker Chicken and Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce
I really love the bite of sun-dried tomatoes. They burst with flavor. I have loved my Instant Pot Tuscan Chicken Pasta recipe which also uses sun-dried tomatoes but I felt like it was time for a new recipe. This creamy and saucy chicken is the perfect combination of acidic ingredients (tomatoes and basil) with creamy ingredients (half and half and parmesan cheese).
This recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken and Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce has a lot of sauce. I chose to use that sauce to envelope al dente pieces of fettuccine pasta. You can also just lick the sauce off your plate. Or perhaps serve it over rice. My whole family really enjoyed this meal!
More recipes you’ll love…
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
To make Slow Cooker Chicken and Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.* I love this slow cooker (you can see me talking about it in a video here). It cooks low and evenly. I love the medium heat choice because most slow cookers that I’ve seen only have the option of cooking on low or high. If you’re going to buy just one slow cooker, this is the one that I recommend.Print
Tender bites of chicken with a bold and rich basil, parmesan and sun-dried tomato sauce.
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 to 2 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts (frozen is fine)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 (6.7 oz) jar sundried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2-4 Tbsp chopped fresh basil or basil from the tube (add more or less depending on preference)
- Add broth and chicken to the Instant Pot. Sprinkle with garlic powder, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Mix the crushed tomatoes and the flour together and then pour the mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours for thawed chicken and 6 hours for frozen chicken.
- Open the pot and use a spoon to break up the chicken.
- Drain the sun-dried tomatoes of all the oil. Chop them up and add them into the pot. Add in the half and half, parmesan cheese and basil. Stir.
- Serve chicken and sauce by itself, with pasta, over rice or quinoa. I cooked 1 pound of pasta on the stove top while the chicken was cooking. Then I stirred the drained pasta plus 1/4 cup of the pasta water into the pot with the chicken and sauce. There was the perfect amount of sauce for 1 pound of pasta.
I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.*
The nutrition info below is based on using 2 lbs of chicken breasts and half and half. Just the chicken and sauce are included, not the pasta.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 259
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 820 g
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Protein: 31 g
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken and Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.