Chopped chicken is encompassed in a velvety white sauce made with sour cream, cream cheese and diced green chilies. The sauce is served over rice and topped with colorful toppings. An easy way to enjoy the flavors of enchiladas without a ton of work.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 (4 oz) cans diced green chilies
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup flour
- Optional toppings: diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, guacamole, grated monterey jack cheese
For optional pot-in-pot rice:
- 2 cups water
- 1 ⅓ cups uncooked long grain white rice
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the butter and swirl it around until it is melted. Add in the onion, cumin and garlic powder. Saute for about 4 minutes, until onion is softened.
- Deglaze the pot with the chicken broth. Place the chicken in the bottom of the pot in a single layer. Scoop the green chilies on top of the chicken. And then sprinkle the salt and pepper over the chicken.
- If making pot-in-pot rice: Pour the water and rice in a pan* (cover the pan if you have a lid). Then place the pan on a trivet and lower the trivet into the pot on top of the chicken.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes for thawed chicken or 18 minutes for frozen chicken. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 more minutes and then move the valve to venting.
- In a bowl mix together the softened cream cheese, sour cream and flour.
- Remove the trivet and pan (if using) and set aside. Use tongs to place chicken on a cutting board. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. Stir the sour cream mixture into the Instant Pot. Stir until smooth. The mixture will thicken up in a few minutes.
- Chop the chicken. I used one of these*. Then add the chopped chicken back into the Instant Pot and stir it into the sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the chicken and sauce over rice and then top with desired toppings.
For more info on pot in pot rice scroll up to see pictures and a video.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot