Instant Pot Cubed Steak and Gravy–a dump and go recipe with only 4 ingredients! Just like the cube steak and gravy mom used to make (and better than a TV dinner). You can make this in the Instant Pot or the Crockpot.
Note: the SLOW COOKER instructions are listed in the recipe card below
Instant Pot Cubed Steak and Gravy
I don’t believe I’m saying this but I don’t really remember having cube steak in my life! I’m sure I did when I was growing up but it’s been a real long time. I did feel like I was eating a TV dinner (a really good TV dinner) when I ate this!
Cube steak is a cut of meat that has been run through a mechanical tenderizer, called a meat cuber. The result is a piece of meat with cube-shaped indentations. Traditionally, cube steak is taken from the beef round cut. But it can be made using any tough cut of beef. Sometimes when you see cube steak at the grocery store you may think that is ground beef because of the indentations. It almost looks like hamburger patties.
Cubed steak is best served with lots of flavorful gravy. Because cubed steak doesn’t have much fat in it the flavor from the gravy helps a lot! And this gravy tasted so good! We served our cubed steaks and gravy with mashed potatoes and it was a winner. If you’d like to make mashed potatoes at the same time you can place a steamer basket full of peeled, cubed potatoes on top of the cubed steaks in the pressure cooker and make mashed potatoes out of them.
If you’d like more flavor on your cubed steaks you can brown them in a bit of olive oil before pressure cooking them. Use the sauté setting to do this. Make sure to deglaze the pot after browning the meat so you don’t get the burn message.
More Beef Recipes You’ll Love…
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
A dump and go recipe with only 4 ingredients! Just like the cube steak and gravy your mom used to make.
- 1 (10 oz) can Campbells French Onion Soup
- 10 oz water
- 4 cubed steaks (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 (1 oz) packet Au Jus Gravy Mix
- 2–3 Tbsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp water
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Pour soup in the Instant Pot. Fill the empty soup can with water and pour water into the pot.
- Place the steaks into the Instant Pot. Don’t stack them straight on top of each other, stagger them.
- Sprinkle the Au Jus gravy mix over the steaks.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 20 minutes. When time is up let the pot release the pressure naturally for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Make a cornstarch slurry by stirring together the cornstarch and water until smooth. Turn the Instant Pot to sauté setting. Stir in the cornstarch slurry to thicken up the gravy. Once gravy is thickened turn off Instant Pot (or turn it to keep warm setting).
- Serve the cube steaks with gravy.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Pour soup in the slow cooker. Fill the empty soup can with water and pour it into the pot. Add in the steaks and Au Jus gravy mix.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Make a cornstarch slurry by stirring together the cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir in the cornstarch slurry to thicken up the gravy. Turn slow cooker to high. Once gravy is thickened serve the cube steaks with gravy.
If you’d like you can place a steamer basket full of peeled, cubed potatoes on top of the cubed steaks in the pressure cooker and make mashed potatoes out of them.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.