Air Fryer Poor Man’s Steak–a hearty stuffed hamburger patty with cheese, bacon and pickled jalapenos cooked in your air fryer for ultimate convenience!
Air Fryer Poor Man’s Steak
I know you’re going to love poor man’s steak! When I ate this I thought, “I’m living like a king!” I didn’t feel poor at all lol! Basically it’s a hearty stuffed burger. I stumbled across the title on Pinterest and it had me intrigued. The original author explained that she went a restaurant and they served what they titled “poor man’s steak.”
I decided to go my own way, as per usual. I chose to stuff my patties with cheese, pickled jalapenos and a bit of bacon. The meat is seasoned well with kosher salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Mmmm! They were good!
I used my new Instant Pot Duo Crisp + Air Fryer* to cook the patties. It worked well because it has a fryer basket with 2 layers. This helped so that none of the patties were touching each other. You can also cook these in another type of air fryer, on a grill or on the stove.
- This recipe makes 3 large burgers. You can divide the meat into 8 portions instead of 6 portions initially to create 4 smaller burgers (2 patties are stacked on top of each other and pressed to seal to create 1 large serving).
- This is a good recipe to eat for keto or other low carb diets.
- I used my digital meat thermometer* to check the internal temperature of the meat. This thermometer comes in handy for making yogurt as well.
- You can get creative with what you want to stuff in the middle. I used cheese cubes, bacon crumbles and pickled jalapenos for amazing flavor. Other ideas are sautéed peppers, mushrooms and onions.
- If you don’t have an air fryer you can make these on the stove or on the grill. Over medium heat fry the burgers about 6 minutes on each side. These are bigger burgers and will take a bit more time to cook through than a normal patty.
- Serve with a side of potatoes. Mashed, fried, tots, hashbrowns…it’s all good! I like making mashed potatoes in my Instant Pot. To keep it low carb try Instant Pot Mashed Ranch Cauliflower.
More Amazing Ground Beef Recipes…
You might also like: Air Fryer Sunday Chicken
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
A hearty stuffed hamburger patty with cheese, bacon and pickled jalapenos cooked in your air fryer for ultimate convenience!
- 1 pound 80/20 ground beef
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 9 slices of tame pickled jalapenos
- 6 cubes of cheddar (the size of dice)
- 1–2 slices of crispy bacon, crumbled
- Optional: 1 packet of brown gravy mix
- Using clean hands mix the salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder into the meat, distributing evenly (like you would with meatloaf).
- Separate the meat into 6 equal sections. Roll them into balls and then flatten well.
- On 3 of the patties place 3 jalapenos each, the crumbled bacon and 2 cubes of cheese in the center.
- Take the other 3 patties and place them on top. Pinch the top and bottom patties together to form one large patty. So you’ll have 3 large burgers when finished.
- For the Instant Pot Duo Crisp Air Fryer* place 1 of the patties in the bottom of the fryer basket. Place the dehydrate tray in the basket and place the other 2 patties on top of the tray. Place the air fryer lid on top. For another type of air fryer*, arrange the patties in the basket so they aren’t overlapping.
- Air fry for 6 minutes at 370° F. Then flip the patties and air fry for another 6 minutes. Use a meat thermometer to make sure the internal temperature is 160° F. If is not, add 3-5 more minutes to the cooking time. These are bigger burgers so they will take a bit of time to cook all the way through.
- If desired, make the gravy according to package directions. Serve the “steaks” with gravy and enjoy!
You can also fry these on the stove top in a pan. Over medium heat fry the burgers about 6 minutes on each side.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Beef
- Method: Air Fryer
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.