Instant Pot Tomato Basil Parmesan Rice—creamy rice with a punch of flavor from cherry tomatoes and fresh basil. This rice is made quickly in your electric pressure cooker and is a great summer dinner or side dish.
Instant Pot Tomato Basil Parmesan Rice
What do you do when you have extra basil hanging in your fridge that needs to be used up? Make something with tomatoes of course! Tomatoes and basil are one of my absolute favorite food combinations. If you agree with me then you may like to try my Instant Pot Margherita Pasta, Instant Pot Bruschetta Chicken Pasta or Instant Pot Creamy Basil Tortellini. And this time of year the tomatoes are in season and taste so good!
Instead of mixing my tomatoes and basil with a pasta I decided to branch out and make a rice dish. This is great if you eat gluten free or if you just want a change of pace from pasta. My family eats brown rice but you can adapt the recipe for whatever type of rice your family likes.
I served this as a side dish but you could certainly use it as a main dish. You can add in sliced smoked sausage. Or lay a couple of chicken breasts on top of the rice with a little salt and pepper. If you go with the chicken breasts they will give off a bit of liquid so you may want to decrease the broth amount by a quarter cup. I haven’t tried it myself but if I did that’s what I would do.
Can I use a different type of rice?
I am a fan of brown rice just because it’s a bit more healthy than white rice. But if you want to try another type of rice you can! Just use the time chart below and follow the water (broth) to rice ratios.
You can download this rice cheat sheet and print it off:
Is the Instant Pot a good rice cooker?
I have absolutely LOVED my Instant Pot as a rice cooker. Here’s why:
- I don’t have to bring water to a boil on the stove.
- My water and rice don’t boil over on the stove and leave a mess. It’s a set it and forget it way of cooking rice.
- Brown rice comes out perfect every single time in the Instant Pot. Use a 1 cup rice to 1.25 cup water ratio with a 22 minute pressure cook time on high pressure and a 10 minute natural pressure release. Before my Instant Pot I could never get my brown rice right!
- The rice stays warm until you’re ready to eat it.
- You can cook many types of rice: white, jasmine, basmati, brown, arborio, wild, etc.
- It makes a stir-free risotto!
More Instant Pot Meatless Recipes…
Instant Pot Less Mayo Potato Salad
Instant Pot Cran Apple Rice Pilaf
Instant Pot Mexican Stuffed Peppers
Instant Pot Easy Spaghetti Sauce
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Tomato Basil Parmesan Rice I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Creamy rice with a punch of flavor from cherry tomatoes and fresh basil. This rice is made quickly in your electric pressure cooker and is a great summer dinner or side dish.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth or veggie broth
- 1 ½ cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Add in the onion and saute for 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 20 seconds.
- Add in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot. Add in the rice. Then dump the tomato sauce on top without stirring.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the tomatoes, basil and parmesan cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
You can try other types of rice with this dish. But you will need to change the rice and broth ratio in addition to the cooking time. Follow the green chart above.
This would be really good with some sliced up smoked sausage or you could add chicken breasts into the pot.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes (plus 10 minute NPR)
- Category: Side
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.