Instant Pot Chicken Margherita Pasta–Penne pasta, bites of chicken, halved grape tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, fresh basil and mozzarella all come together in a simple but totally flavorful one pot meal. I couldn’t stop eating this one!
Instant Pot Chicken Margherita Pasta
I am in love with margherita pizza…there’s just something about mozzarella, tomatoes and basil. They are just made for each other. I decided to use these flavors as an inspiration for a one pot chicken pasta dish. It was a really good idea. And then the addition of balsamic vinegar was just icing on the cake. It all came together so beautifully on the plate and in my mouth. I will definitely be making this instant pot chicken margherita pasta again soon.
A few notes about the ingredients:
- The chicken: I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts. In order for them to cook at the same rate as the pasta I cut them into bite size pieces. Therefore, I don’t think you should use frozen chicken for this recipe. Also, if you want to saute the chicken a little before adding in the other ingredients I believe it would give this dish even more amazing flavor.
- The pasta: I used a package of penne rigate and it tasted amazing. I also think that orecchiette pasta, my favorite cavatappi noodles, or cellentani noodles would be perfect.
- The basil: I used 3 tablespoons of the basil from the refrigerated squeeze tube that I had leftover from when I made instant pot tuscan chicken pasta. This is a perfect solution for me since I always let fresh herbs go bad in the refrigerator before I can use them all. The squeeze tubes seem to last much longer. You can find them in the produce section of your grocery store. If you prefer you can use 3 tablespoons of fresh chopped basil.
- The cheese: I used grated mozzarella cheese from a big bag I had from Costco. It tasted great. However if you really want to up your dinner game then stirring in fresh mozzarella would be fantastico!
More one pot pasta recipes you’ll love
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Chicken Margherita Pasta I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
Penne pasta, bites of chicken, halved grape tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, fresh basil and mozzarella all come together in a simple but totally flavorful one pot meal. You won’t be able to stop eating this one!
- 12 ounces penne rigate uncooked pasta (I used my digital scale* to measure my pasta)
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth (or 2 1/4 cups or water and 2 1/4 tsp of better than bouillon chicken base*)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small bite size pieces
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp fresh chopped basil or 3 Tbsp of basil from the squeeze tube
- 1 1/2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 3/4 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Pour pasta into the bottom of your instant pot. Add in the chicken broth. Try to cover most of the pasta with the chicken broth. Pour in the olive oil. Place chicken pieces on top. Salt and pepper the chicken.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to “sealing.” Set the manual button or pressure cook button (depending on your instant pot model) to 3 minutes for al dente pasta and 4 minute for pasta that is a little more soft. Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes and then release the rest of the pressure by moving the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Turn the pot to the saute setting. Stir in the vinegar, basil, tomatoes and cheese. When cheese is melted turn the pot to the keep warm setting.
- Serve the pasta as soon as possible and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*
Stovetop Directions: I don’t have a slow cooker version of this recipe because I don’t love how pasta turns out in the slow cooker. You could however make this on your stovetop. Here are the directions: Cook the chicken in the olive oil in a pan. Salt and pepper. Set aside. In a large pot cook pasta according to the package directions. Drain off the water. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Return pasta back into the pot. Toss in reserved pasta water. Stir in the chicken, vinegar, basil, tomatoes and cheese. Let the cheese melt. Serve immediately.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Instant Pot
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 415
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 460 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Protein: 35 g
Send Me Free Recipes
Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.