Instant Pot Stick of Butter Rice–you only need 4 simple, staple ingredients to make this dump and go rice dish that everyone loves!
Note: the SLOW COOKER instructions are listed in the recipe card below
Instant Pot Stick of Butter Rice
Stick of butter rice…yes you read that right. Just by the name you know it’s going to be good! It’s rice, a stick of butter, water and a package of onion soup mix. You throw everything into your Instant Pot and come back in a few minutes to perfectly cooked and flavored rice.
- You can use brown or white rice for this recipe. Brown rice takes 22 minutes in the pressure cooker and white rice only takes 3 minutes. Both use a 10 minute natural pressure release.
- We served this rice with apple juice chicken. It also tastes great with grilled pork chops or steaks.
- If you want the rice more seasoned, as for a stand alone meal, use beef broth instead of water.
- Try stirring in rotisserie chicken and steamed veggies after the pressure cooking time is up for a full meal!
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can make this rice in a 3 or 8 quart pot with no changes.
- If you don’t want to use packaged onion soup mix you can make your own.
More Instant Pot Rice Recipes You’ll Love…
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
You only need 4 simple, staple ingredients to make this rice dish that everyone loves!
- 2 1/2 cups water or broth
- 2 cups long grain brown rice or white rice
- 1 (1 oz) package onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup butter
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Add water, rice, onion soup mix and butter into Instant Pot.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes for brown rice or 3 minutes for white rice. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir well and serve.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Boil the water and add it into the slow cooker. Add in the rice, onion soup mix and butter.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours (white rice will cook quicker than brown rice).
- Stir well and serve.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes (plus 10 minute NPR)
- Category: Side
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.