Instant Pot Butter Chicken Rice—rice and chicken in a spiced (but not spicy) tomato, butter and cream sauce.
Instant Pot Butter Chicken Rice
If you’re a fan of butter chicken and chicken tikka masala you’re going to love this Instant Pot butter chicken rice. You cook brown rice with a tomato sauce that has lots of flavor from garam masala, garlic and ginger. The rice is cooked alongside pieces of chicken.
What kind of chicken can I use? I chose to use bone-in chicken drumsticks with the skin removed. They were straight from my freezer and they cooked perfectly alongside the brown rice. Other choices are to use boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts. Brown rice does need a 22 minute pressure cooking time with a 10 minute natural pressure release so frozen chicken pieces work well with this recipe.
Can I use another type of rice? I used brown rice but you may also use another type of rice. Refer to the cooking chart below to see which type of rice you want to make and the amount of liquid and time it will require. If you choose to use a rice with a short cooking time you will want to cut the chicken into pieces because a big old frozen chicken breast won’t cook in 5 minutes.
What is garam masala and where can I buy it? Garam masala is a spice blend widely used in Indian cuisine. Whole spices of cinnamon, mace, peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and cardamon pods are toasted in a pan to release their aromatic flavors, then ground to a powder. Garam masala is not at every grocery store. I found mine at Smith’s (Kroger) in the spice aisle and it was the McCormick Gourmet* brand.
Try these other Instant Pot recipes…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
Rice and chicken in a spiced (but not spicy) tomato, butter and cream sauce.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 2 pounds bone-in chicken drumsticks (with skin removed)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: cilantro, green onions and chopped cashews or peanuts
- Pour brown rice and broth into bottom of Instant Pot. Place the chicken on top.
- In a bowl stir together the crushed tomatoes, butter, garlic, garam masala, ginger, salt, red pepper, tomato paste and garlic powder. Pour the mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting.
- Use tongs to place chicken on a platter.
- Stir heavy cream into rice. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chicken with rice. Top with cilantro, green onions and chopped cashews or peanuts
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.