Instant Pot Smothered Chicken–chicken thighs in a savory gravy that you’ll want to lick off the plate!
Instant Pot Smothered Chicken
Mmmm-mmm! This gravy and chicken is so good that’s what you’ll be saying from the first bite. Try serving this Instant Pot smothered chicken with mashed potatoes or buttered egg noodles, a side of corn on the cob and a green salad. If you’re a fan of mushrooms add them into the pot with the chicken. Yum yum!
Why use chicken thighs? Chicken thighs work great in the Instant Pot. They stay moist and tender and are way more predictable than chicken breasts in how they turn out. I like to buy chicken thighs at Winco (fresh) or at Costco (big bag of frozen). If you want to know if you can use chicken breasts the answer is yes. They won’t turn out as moist and tender. I would use the pressure cooking time according to the formula you can find here.
Why the bacon? Bacon just brings the gravy to a whole new level! For sake of ease I like using the big bag of bacon crumbles from Sam’s or Costco. If you’d like you can fry up some bacon and use that instead.
What if I don’t have better than bouillon? Use ¾ cup beef broth and ¾ cup chicken broth instead of the water and the bouillons.
What is half and half? It is half whole milk and half heavy cream. You can find it in a carton in the dairy aisle. You can also use evaporated milk.
More Saucy Instant Pot Chicken Recipes…
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
Chicken thighs in a savory gravy that you’ll want to lick off the plate!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp sage
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Better Than Bouillon Beef Base
- 1 tsp Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup half and half or evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup bacon crumbles
- Salt and pepper
- Trim excess fat off of chicken thighs.
- Rub the chicken on both sides with the onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary and sage.
- Pour water, beef and chicken bouillon and soy sauce into the Instant Pot. Add chicken into pot evenly.
- Cover and secure the lid into place. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 12 minutes for fresh chicken or 15 minutes for frozen. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid. Place chicken on a plate.
- In a glass measuring cup whisk the melted butter with a tablespoon of flour at a time until smooth and creamy. Add in the half and half slowly and whisk well.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Slowly whisk in the flour mixture and stir until gravy has thickened. Stir in the bacon and then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve gravy over the chicken and enjoy!
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.