Instant Pot Garlic Butter Chicken—tender chicken bites coated in a garlic butter sauce. Only 8 ingredients and your Instant Pot make this recipe fast and easy!
Note: the SLOW COOKER instructions are listed in recipe below
Instant Pot Garlic Butter Chicken
Another easy chicken recipe?! Yes, we do need another one. Who can have too many yummy chicken recipes?
This recipe only has 8 ingredients and it’s *almost* a dump and go recipe, besides the step of sautéing some garlic. It’s also gluten free and keto-friendly, for those of you how care about that.
I like Instant Pot garlic butter chicken with moist and tender bites of chicken thighs. It’s a personal preference. However, I wrote notes in the recipe card if you’d rather try making it with chicken breasts.
I always find a big bag of frozen chicken thighs at Costco or Sam’s Club. I also have luck finding thighs at Winco. Other stores can be hit or miss.
What should I serve with Instant Pot garlic butter chicken? I served my chicken with Instant Pot Bacon Parmesan Smashed Potatoes (made in a separate Instant Pot) and steamed asparagus. You can also serve this chicken and sauce with rice, noodles or cauliflower rice.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
Tender chicken bites coated in a garlic butter sauce. Only 8 ingredients and your Instant Pot make this recipe fast and easy!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (see note)
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2–4 Tbsp cornstarch
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Add in the butter and let it melt. Add in the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add chicken into Instant Pot. Add in Italian seasoning, salt and cayenne pepper. Toss well to coat chicken. Pour in broth.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes for whole chicken thighs (frozen or fresh) or 5 minutes for chicken thigh chunks. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Place chicken on a platter.
- Thicken sauce with a cornstarch slurry. Turn your Instant Pot to the sauté setting. In a small bowl stir together 2-4 Tbsp of cornstarch with 4 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up contents of pot quickly.
- Serve chicken drizzled with sauce.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Add chicken, butter, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and cayenne pepper into slow cooker. Toss to coat chicken with seasonings. Pour in the broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- In a small bowl stir together 2-4 Tbsp of cornstarch with 4 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the slow cooker. Turn slow cooker to high and cook with the lid off for 20-30 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
- Serve chicken drizzled with sauce.
Chicken thighs: I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. One option is to serve them as whole pieces. Another idea is to cut each chicken thigh into 4-5 pieces. The cooking time will be shorter in this case. Each piece will be coated well with the sauce (more surface area for deliciousness to coat). You can use frozen thighs for this recipe. Keep the same cooking time. The pot will take longer to come to pressure.
Chicken breasts: Try making this with chicken breast bite-size chunks. Only pressure cook for 3 minutes with a 5 minute natural pressure release. For full chicken breasts cook for 15 minutes.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.