Instant Pot Chicken Little–creamy mashed red potatoes covered in chicken and homemade gravy. Potatoes and chicken are cooked together quickly in the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Chicken Little
A generous portion of gravy and chopped chicken ladled over mashed red potatoes is a comforting meal that all family members will enjoy. This is a hearty homemade dinner.
I got the idea for this recipe from A Dash of Sanity. The original recipe uses cream of chicken soup mixed with milk for the gravy. And while that is convenient I decided to make a homemade gravy instead. It doesn’t take very much time at all to make the homemade version.
The coolest thing about this recipe is that the chicken, potatoes and gravy are all cooked in the same pot, the Instant Pot. The chicken and potatoes cook at the same time and then a gravy is created with the liquid remaining in the pot.
Serve Instant Pot Chicken Little with a side of corn and steamed broccoli. And if you really want to go above and beyond make homemade biscuits! My daughter, Reagan, makes the best biscuits. We are always begging her to make them for us.
Can I use another cut of chicken? Yes. Use bone-in chicken or boneless chicken thighs if you prefer dark meat. You can also use a cooked rotisserie chicken and skip pressure cooking it.
Can I use frozen chicken? Yes. I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts that were frozen. You’ll just add a few more minutes to the pressure cooking time (I noted this in the recipe card).
Can I use another type of potato? Yes. Try using smaller or halved Russets. Try Yukon golds. They taste so buttery and creamy.
What if I don’t have a steamer basket? No worries. Place the chicken and broth in the bottom of the pot. Then place a trivet on top of the chicken. Place the potatoes on top of the trivet. If you don’t have a trivet place a piece of foil on top of the chicken and then place potatoes on top of foil.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes…
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website? Search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc. Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
Instant Pot Tim McGraw’s Chicken and Dumplings–Greg said, “this is the best thing you’ve ever made!”
Instant Pot Southern Sunday Chicken–Juliana said, “So very good!! This my new go-to! The chicken breasts were done to perfection; tender and juicy. The seasoning gives the gravy an exceptional depth of flavor.”
Instant Pot No Time To Cook Chicken–If you don’t have a lot of time to prep dinner or if you’re feeling lazy this is a perfect dump and go chicken recipe that tastes so good!
Instant Pot Creamy Garlic Chicken–Sheila said, “it was super easy, quick and so tasty.”
Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff–Dianne said, “This may be my favorite so far……it’s quick, easy and the flavor is wonderful. Made it for dinner last night and had the leftovers for lunch. Definitely a winner!”
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
Creamy mashed red potatoes covered in chicken and homemade gravy. Potatoes and chicken are cooked together quickly in the Instant Pot.
Equipment needed: steamer basket
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen is okay)
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp Better than Bouillon chicken base
- 3 pounds red potatoes
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ⅓ to ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp poultry seasoning
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- Add chicken and broth into bottom of Instant Pot.
- Place whole potatoes in steamer basket* and lay it on top of the chicken.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes for fresh chicken or 17 minutes for frozen chicken. When time is up let pressure release naturally for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Remove the steamer basket and set aside. Place chicken on a cutting board.
- In a large glass measuring cup add the milk. Stir in a cup of the hot liquid to temper. Slowly whisk in flour. For a thicker gravy use ½ cup for a thinner gravy use ⅓ cup of flour (I sifted my flour so it would be smoother and not lumpy). Whisk until smooth. Whisk in the onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Pour in the milk/flour mixture. Stir and cook until thickened and flour taste cooks out.
- Chop up chicken and stir it into the gravy. Salt and pepper the gravy and chicken to taste.
- Pour potatoes into a large serving bowl. Mash well. Stir in the melted butter, sour cream, milk and salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop potatoes onto a plate and top with chicken and gravy.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.