Instant Pot Perfected Parmesan Garlic Pasta—creamy garlic parmesan sauce and fettuccine noodles with Italian sausage and spinach.
Instant Pot Perfected Parmesan Garlic Pasta
A few days a week my daughter goes straight from school to work and doesn’t get off until 8 pm. Understandably when she gets home she is starving! She is a huge fan of pasta (and carbs in general). I made this fettuccine recipe for her and she was so happy when she got home. The rest of us scarfed our portions down a couple hours earlier and all agreed it was a 5 star dinner.
The key to not having the pasta stick together in this recipe (which sometimes fettuccine and linguine do in the IP) is to criss-cross the pasta (see the step-by-step photos below the recipe card). Another key is to dump a bunch of spinach on top of the pasta. The spinach keeps the pasta that hasn’t been submerged in the broth moist. You can also dump mushrooms on top of the pasta for the same effect.
Italian sausage: I used mild Italian ground sausage. Another idea is to use Italian sausage links that have been browned. You can use smoked sausage that has been sliced up. If you’d like to use chicken you can also do that. Cut up the chicken into bite size pieces. No need to pre-cook the chicken. The small pieces will cook quickly. Chicken won’t have as much flavor and you’ll probably want to add some seasonings to give it some oomph.
Spinach: I used bagged spinach but you can also use frozen spinach. You won’t need to fill the pot to the top with frozen spinach as it is compacted down a bit.
Mushrooms: I didn’t add mushrooms to my dish but I think they would be super tasty. Add 8 oz of sliced mushrooms on top of the pasta before you add in the spinach.
Heavy Cream: Another choice would be to use half and half or evaporated milk.
More Alfredo Inspired Recipes…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
Creamy garlic parmesan sauce and fettuccine noodles with Italian sausage and spinach
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 12 oz uncooked fettuccine noodles
- 4–6 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When display says HOT add in the sausage and break it up. Brown for about 5 minutes. Drain excess grease. Add in the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add in 2 cups of the broth and scrape bottom of Instant Pot so that nothing is sticking.
- Break the fettuccine noodles in half and lay them on top of the sausage in a criss cross pattern.
- Pour remaining 1 ½ cups of broth over the top of the noodles. Press to submerge as much as possible. Not all noodles will be covered.
- Add enough spinach to fill the Instant Pot to close to the top. (It will seem like a lot but it shrinks down to almost nothing.)
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the cream and the parmesan cheese well.
- Salt and pepper to taste, plate and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can also make this recipe in your 8 quart pot with no changes. For the 3 quart Instant Pot half all the ingredients and keep the cooking time the same.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.