|CrockPot Creamy Mac n’ Cheese
I went to an amazing barbecue restaurant a few days ago and ordered the dirty mac n’ cheese. It was macaroni with cheese, smoked brisket and panko bread crumbs. I loved it! It had a smoky flavor and was worth every single calorie. I decided to make something similar at home in my slow cooker. I don’t usually have smoked brisket lying around the house so I decided to go with bacon instead. I really wanted to see if I could make it a one pot meal just like I did with the chicken tetrazzini. I also wanted to use real cheese (not processed velveeta or condensed cheese soup). I was able to do it and it was so super easy! This is a great stand alone meal or a side dish. My daughter ate 3 servings! She could not get enough. I added toasted Panko bread crumbs to the top of mine and it added a perfect crunchy texture variation to the creamy macaroni. I really think you’re going to love this recipe!!
|Smoky Mac n’ Cheese made all in one pot–the crockpot!
A creamy, cheesy and smoky macaroni and cheese that is made in one pot–the slow cooker! This recipe is so simple and tastes so amazing everyone will be asking for seconds.
- 4 ounces whole wheat elbow macaroni noodles, uncooked (I used Barilla)
- 1 1/8 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/3 cup crumbled cooked bacon + 1/4 cup more for serving
- 3 oz grated cheddar cheese (sharp will give more flavor but medium and mild work too)
- 1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- In an oval slow cooker(I used my 3 quart slow cooker) evenly lay the the uncooked macaroni noodles. Pour the water and the cream over the top of the noodles.
- Sprinkle the salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, liquid smoke and bacon over the top.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 80-90 minutes.
- Remove lid and gently stir. Add in grated cheese and gently stir until it’s all melted.
- Optional and really awesome: turn on your oven to broil. Spread Panko bread crumbs on a cookie sheet and place under the broiler until toasted. It will take only a few minutes so make sure you
watch it and don’t let it burn.
- Spoon macaroni and cheese into serving bowls. Top with a tablespoon of crumbled bacon and a tablespoon of bread crumbs. Enjoy!
Ideal slow cooker size: 3 quart
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Slow Cooker