Instant Pot French Chicken Casserole–tender chicken and potatoes with a creamy rosemary and thyme sauce. You’ll be licking your plate. You will honestly love the sauce that much!
Instant Pot French Chicken Casserole
I did not expect to love this dinner as much as I did! It was inhaled by myself and the rest of my family. We all agreed that the flavor was spot on and that the chicken and potatoes were cooked to perfection. I adapted this recipe from a stove/oven recipe on Damn Delicious. The original recipe has a lot more steps and is prepared on the stovetop and then baked in the oven for 45 minutes. My version is, of course, much more fast and easy. It may not look as good (no browned and crispy chicken skin) but I can promise you it does taste good!
Chicken: I used frozen chicken drumsticks that I had leftover from a big package I bought to make Air Fryer Sunday Dinner Chicken. I didn’t remove the skin although I probably would have for aesthetics reasons had they been not frozen. You can also use any other bone-in chicken that you like. Thighs would be perfect. If you’d like to go the boneless route, you can. The chicken won’t be as tender and succulent but I’m sure it will still taste good.
Shallots: I used shallots, as per the original recipe’s instructions. I did feel that they gave a subtle, delicate and sweet flavor. You can also substitute a half cup of yellow onions if you’re in a pinch.
Potatoes: the baby golden potatoes were perfect. They do get soft but not mushy. If you’d rather you can throw in small whole red potatoes.
You can easily double this recipe in a 6 or 8 quart pot. And if you have more than 4 people eating I definitely do think you should double it! Try Instant Pot French chicken casserole this week!
More Amazing Chicken Recipes…
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
Tender chicken and potatoes with a creamy rosemary and thyme sauce. You’ll be licking your plate. You will honestly love the sauce that much!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 rib of celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 4–6 chicken drumsticks or chicken thighs
- 12–16 ounces of baby gold potatoes
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch + 2 Tbsp cold water (mixed together until smooth)
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When the display says HOT add in the butter and swirl it around to melt. Add in the shallot and celery and sauté for about 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the chicken broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot. Add in the vinegar and bay leaf. Add in the chicken pieces and potatoes. Sprinkle the salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme on top of the chicken and potatoes.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes for frozen chicken or 12 minutes for fresh chicken. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Use tongs to place chicken and potatoes on a platter. Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Add in the heavy cream and the cornstarch slurry. Stir until thickened and then turn off Instant Pot.
- Serve chicken, potatoes with sauce over the top.
Make this with no changes in the 3, 6 or 8 quart pot. Doubles easily in the 6 or 8 quart pot.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.