Instant Pot Farmhouse Casserole–a cheesy chicken vegetable and rice casserole that’s flavorful and easy to make.
Instant Pot Farmhouse Casserole
This is an easy rice dish with chicken, cheese, veggies, lots of seasonings and a bit of a tang from dijon mustard. This was a great one pot meal that didn’t take a lot of time or effort (just some chopping of onions, celery and carrots). It has a slightly creamy consistency without using a condensed cream soup. My family and I enjoyed it and unfortunately there are no leftovers.
- Olive oil–or another type of oil like vegetable or canola
- Onion–I used yellow onion
- Garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Poultry seasoning
- Smoked paprika
- Better than Bouillon chicken base
- Converted rice–What is converted/parboiled rice? Don’t confuse converted rice (or sometimes it is called parboiled rice) with pre-cooked or minute rice. Parboiled rice has been processed in its husk by soaking, steaming, and drying. As a result, all the nutrients from the husk are absorbed into the grain before it’s removed. The starch content alters in the process, making cooked parboiled rice less sticky than regular white rice. The rice kernels aren’t clumpy and glued together instead they are more separated. I found a bag of parboiled rice at Walmart next to the normal long grain white rice. Sometimes I buy it at Winco in the bulk section. I have also found it in the orange box (Ben’s brand) next to other rices.
- Green beans–I used canned green beans, you can also use fresh or frozen green beans.
- Corn–I used canned corn, you can also use fresh or frozen corn.
- Chicken–cooked and chopped. I used Costco rotisserie chicken. You can also use this recipe to make chicken ahead of time for recipes like this. If you’d rather use raw chicken you can cut up raw thighs or breasts into bite size pieces and they will cook at the same rate as the rice.
- Dijon mustard–adds a smooth, slightly salty, complex tang
- Heavy cream
- Cheddar cheese–I like to grate the cheese off the block rather than buying pre-shredded cheese.
- Saute vegetables: Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Add in the onion, celery and carrots. Saute for 4 minutes.
- Season the vegetables: Stir in the garlic powder, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and smoked paprika.
- Deglaze the pot: Pour in the water and scrape bottom of pot. Stir in the Better than Bouillon.
- Add ingredients: Sprinkle rice in evenly. Dump the green beans, corn and chicken on top.
- Pressure cook: Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Add dairy: Stir in the dijon and cream. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Replace the lid and let the cheese melt on the keep warm setting for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve: Scoop onto plates and serve.
- We ate this as an all in one pot meal (it’s got vegetables, carbs and protein). But you can serve alongside a side salad or roasted broccoli. My son ate a scoop on top of Amish white bread 😉
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot*. You can also make this in a 3 or 8 quart pot.
- This recipe can be gluten free if your chicken base is gluten free.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container* in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Other recipes you can make with converted rice are Instant Pot Spanish Rice With Beef and Instant Pot Smoky Mountain Casserole.
More Instant Pot Chicken Rice Casseroles to Try…
Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Casserole
The delicious flavors from chicken burritos made in the easiest way possible…a dump and go Instant Pot recipe. With chicken, rice, beans, corn and cheese you won’t miss a thing.
Instant Pot Chicken Spectacular
A simple but delicious meal of chicken, rice and vegetables. Make it quickly in your Instant Pot.
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website to search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc.? Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
A cheesy chicken vegetable and rice casserole that’s flavorful and easy to make.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 ribs of celery, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp Better than Bouillon chicken base
- 1 cup converted rice
- 1 (14.5 oz) can green beans, drained
- 1 (15.25 oz) can corn, drained
- 2–3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Add in the onion, celery and carrots. Saute for 4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic powder, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and smoked paprika.
- Pour in the water and scrape bottom of pot. Stir in the Better than Bouillon.
- Sprinkle rice in evenly. Dump the green beans, corn and chicken on top.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the dijon and cream. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Replace the lid and let the cheese melt on the keep warm setting for 4-5 minutes.
- Scoop onto plates and serve.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.