Instant Pot Explosion Casserole–it’s like stuffed peppers exploded in this easy Instant Pot dinner. Cheese, peppers, rice, and fire roasted tomatoes make this dish so flavorful.
Instant Pot Explosion Casserole
This kind of meal is my jam. I love all in one pot meals. I love stuffed peppers. I love throwing everything in a pot and coming back to dinner in just a few minutes (7 minute pressure build up time + 3 minute cooking time + 5 minute natural pressure release = 15 minutes).
If you’re a stuffed pepper fan but don’t like picking out the perfect peppers (isn’t there a tongue twister about Peter Piper picking some peppers?). And if you don’t like coring the peppers and stuffing them then this is the recipe for you. You get all the goodness and none of the hassle. The most hands-on part of this recipe is browning the ground turkey. (You might also like Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup, Instant Pot Taco Stuffed Peppers, Instant Pot/Slow Cooker Mexican Stuffed Peppers).
A Few Ingredient Notes:
Ground Turkey/Beef: I used ground turkey for this recipe. I don’t know if it’s just me or the brand I choose but I always have a ton of liquid that comes off the turkey. Because of this I decided to cook 1 cup of rice in only 1 cup of broth instead of what I usually use (which is 1 ½ cups). If you don’t have liquid coming off your meat then you may want to increase your broth amount to 1 ¼ or 1 ½ cups.
Fire roasted tomatoes: Try to find these at your grocery store next to the regular diced tomatoes. They add a ton of flavor!
Rice: I used long grain white rice and only used a 3 minute pressure cook time with a 5 minute natural pressure release. The rice was plenty soft. You can also use basmati or jasmine rice (same cooking time). If you want to use brown rice I would not add the peppers in at the beginning. Brown rice requires a 22 minute pressure cook time and the peppers will be complete mush. I would sauté them on the stove and stir them in after the rice is done.
More Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love…
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
It’s like stuffed peppers exploded in this easy Instant Pot dinner. Cheese, peppers, rice, and more make this dish so flavorful.
- 1 pound ground turkey or ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1–2 green or red bell peppers, cored and diced
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When the display says HOT add in the turkey/beef and break it up. Add in the onion. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off sauté setting.
- Sprinkle in the the rice, garlic salt, cayenne, Italian seasoning, tomatoes, tomato paste and finally the peppers. Don’t stir, the ingredients should be layered.
- Cover the Instant Pot and lock the lid into place. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir well. Sprinkle the cheese on top, let melt. Scoop onto plates and serve.
I used ground turkey and there was a lot of liquid that came off of it. I chose to only use 1 cup of broth because of that reason. If you are using ground beef you may want to increase the broth to 1 ½ cups.
You can make this in the 3, 6 or 8 quart pot.
- Category: Beef/Turkey
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.