Instant Pot Comfort Casserole–a creamy rice dish with chicken, green beans and mushrooms.
Instant Pot Comfort Casserole
This is a creamy, comforting rice casserole without the use of a “cream of” soup. It’s got rice, onions, mushrooms, green beans, chicken and parmesan cheese. It’s got a fun flavor thanks to the tarragon, lemon juice and dijon mustard.
The rice only takes 5 minutes to cook in the Instant Pot! I love using my Instant Pot as a “rice maker” too. It’s so quick and easy. For sake of ease and taste I used some Costco rotisserie chicken in this recipe. I love buying 2 chickens each time I go to Costco and then dividing the meat into 2-3 cups increments and freezing in ziploc bags. It’s perfect for a quick meal.
- Butter–or olive oil.
- Onion–fresh or frozen. Shallots also work.
- Sliced or chopped mushrooms–I used white button mushrooms that were already sliced.
- Chicken broth–or water and 1 teaspoon of Better than Bouillon chicken base.
- Converted rice—you can also use white rice or jasmine rice.
- Canned green beans–you can also use fresh or frozen green beans.
- Chopped, cooked chicken–I used rotisserie. You can also use uncooked chicken that has been cut into bite size pieces (about 1 pound).
- Cayenne pepper
- Dried tarragon–or if you don’t have tarragon try dried dill.
- Garlic powder–or 1 Tbsp fresh minced garlic.
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Dijon mustard
- Lemon juice–fresh is best but bottled works too.
- Heavy cream
- Shredded parmesan cheese
Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says HOT add in the butter and let it melt. Add in the onions and mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes.
Pour in the broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot. Sprinkle in the rice, don’t stir.
Dump in the green beans, chicken (mine was cooked chicken that was frozen), cayenne, tarragon, garlic powder, salt, pepper, dijon and lemon juice. Don’t stir.
Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting and remove the lid.
Stir in the cream and parmesan. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve and enjoy!
- What is converted/parboiled rice? Don’t confuse converted rice (or sometimes it is called parboiled rice) with pre-cooked or minute rice. Parboiled rice has been processed in its husk by soaking, steaming, and drying. As a result, all the nutrients from the husk are absorbed into the grain before it’s removed. The starch content alters in the process, making cooked parboiled rice less sticky than regular white rice. The rice kernels aren’t clumpy and glued together instead they are more separated. I found a bag of parboiled rice at Walmart next to the normal long grain white rice. Sometimes I buy it at Winco in the bulk section. I have also found it in the orange box (Ben’s brand) next to other rices.
- Try sprinkling each serving with toasted panko.
- Serve with another vegetable like a green salad or some fresh fruit.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot*. You can also make this in a 3 or 8 quart pot.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container* in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Other recipes you can make with parboiled rice are Instant Pot Sausage Rice and Instant Pot Spanish Rice With Beef.
More Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Recipes
Instant Pot Smothered Chicken and Rice
Creamy rice with chicken smothered in cheddar and bacon crumbles. An easy recipe that takes only a few minutes to prep and cook!
Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Casserole
The delicious flavors from chicken burritos made in the easiest way possible…a dump and go Instant Pot recipe. With chicken, rice, beans, corn and cheese you won’t miss a thing.
THE Perfect Autumn Meal
Instant Pot chicken and wild rice soup with sweet potatoes, spinach and mushrooms is the perfect autumn meal. It’s cozy and homey and delicious!
Instant Pot Farmhouse Casserole
A cheesy chicken vegetable and rice casserole that’s flavorful and easy to make.
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website to search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc.? Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
A creamy rice dish with chicken, green beans and mushrooms.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 8 oz sliced or chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup raw converted rice (you can also use white rice or jasmine rice)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can green beans, drained
- 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken (I used rotisserie)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3/4 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says HOT add in the butter and let it melt. Add in the onions and mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot. Sprinkle in the rice, don’t stir.
- Dump in the green beans, chicken, cayenne, tarragon, garlic powder, salt, pepper, dijon and lemon juice. Don’t stir.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting and remove the lid.
- Stir in the cream and parmesan. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.