Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken–tender shredded chicken with lime and cilantro flavors. An easy recipe that can be made with frozen chicken in minutes.
Related: SLOW COOKER Cilantro Lime Chicken Sliders recipe
Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken
When I told my husband what I was making he was skeptical and took an unseasoned portion of chicken for himself to smother in barbecue sauce. Then I let him have a bite of the finished product and he was surprised, “whoa! this is really good!” I told you it’d be good. Why did you even doubt me?
What do I serve with Instant Pot cilantro lime chicken? Basically this is a light chicken salad with Mexican flare. You can serve the chicken cold or hot, it’s up to you. I served mine warm. If you’re cutting carbs from your diet you can serve this chicken as a lettuce wrap or serve it with an avocado. If you freely eat carbs serve the chicken on a bun, roll, rice or wrapped in a tortilla. For lots of lime cilantro flavors serve this over cilantro lime rice!
What kind of chicken do I use? I used frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts. For keto diet and more flavor use boneless, skinless chicken thighs. You can also use a combination of the two.
How long do I cook chicken in the Instant Pot? Chicken can vary widely in how thick it is and therefore the pressure cooking times can vary widely. I ended up cooking my frozen chicken breasts for 15 minutes (with a 10 minute Natural Pressure Release). Some chicken breasts (usually organic) are much smaller and would require less time. For more info on figuring out how to cook chicken breasts watch this video…
More recipes you’ll love…Print
Tender shredded chicken with lime and cilantro flavors served on a mini bun or roll. An easy recipe made with frozen chicken in minutes.
- 2 (about 1 1/2 pounds) boneless skinless chicken breasts (frozen is fine)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lime juice
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Optional for serving: slider buns, rolls, tortillas, lettuce leaves
- Place chicken in bottom of Instant Pot. Pour broth over chicken.
- Cover and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes on high pressure. Once the time is up let the pot count up to 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting.
- Use tongs to place the chicken on a cutting board. Shred the chicken (I use these*) and place it in a bowl.
- Stir the garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, lime juice, mayonnaise and cilantro into the bowl. Coat the chicken with the mixture.
- Taste the chicken and then add additional salt and pepper to taste, as needed. (I used ½ tsp of kosher salt).
- Serve chicken as desired.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
To make gluten free: Just check your broth to be sure it does not contain gluten. Can be served on corn tortillas, GF bread, or Chick-fil-A sells gluten-free buns for $1 and they are so moist and yummy!
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe (just chicken)
- Calories: 273
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 145 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Protein: 38 g
Keywords: chicken, frozen chicken
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.