Instant Pot Chicken Paprika—tender chicken thighs in a flavorful creamy tomato and paprika sauce served over pasta or rice.
Related: SLOW COOKER chicken paprika recipe
Instant Pot Chicken Paprika
This is a comforting stew-like chicken and sauce that was a perfect family dinner to eat this past week. I loved the bright color of the sauce and the tang from the sour cream. We ate ours over orzo and served it alongside a salad.
What kind of paprika should I use? In Hungary this dish is called “Paprikás Csirke”, which means “Paprika Chicken.” This dish is ideally made with Hungarian paprika* that has a sweet, full-bodied flavor profile and a bright red color. But if you’re in a pinch regular paprika will work too.
Can I use another cut of chicken? I used frozen boneless skinless chicken thighs that I get from Costco. Other choices would be boneless, skinless chicken breasts (won’t be as tender) and bone-in chicken pieces. If cooking bone-in chicken pieces then increase the pressure cooking time to 15-18 minutes.
What should I serve with Instant Pot chicken paprika? I boiled orzo on the stove and we spooned the beautiful sauce and chicken over the top of it. It was so tasty. Other choices would be to serve over egg noodles, rice, potatoes or for a low-carb option riced cauliflower.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.
Tender chicken thighs in a flavorful creamy tomato and paprika sauce served over pasta or rice.
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (frozen is fine)
- 1 Tbsp paprika (ideally Hungarian paprika)
- 1 tsp dried marjoram(or you can use ½ tsp dried oregano)
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp water
- ½ cup sour cream
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Add in the onion and saute for 4-5 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pot. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add in the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with paprika, marjoram, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Then dump the tomatoes on top of the chicken.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 12 minutes for fresh thighs or 15 minutes for frozen thighs. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute. In a small bowl stir together 2 Tbsp of cornstarch with 3 Tbsp of water, until smooth.Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up contents of pot quickly. Turn off the Instant Pot. Stir about 1/2 cup of the sauce from the pot into the sour cream to temper it. Then stir the sour cream into the Instant Pot. Taste test the sauce and add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the chicken and sauce over rice, egg noodles, orzo or cauliflower rice.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.