Slow Cooker Chicken Paprika—tender chicken thighs in a flavorful creamy tomato and paprika sauce served over pasta or rice.
Related: INSTANT POT chicken paprika recipe
Slow Cooker Chicken Paprika
This is a comforting stew-like chicken and sauce that was a perfect family dinner to eat this past week. I loved the bright color of the sauce and the tang from the sour cream. We ate ours over orzo and served it alongside a salad.
What kind of paprika should I use? In Hungary this dish is called “Paprikás Csirke”, which means “Paprika Chicken.” This dish is ideally made with Hungarian paprika* that has a sweet, full-bodied flavor profile and a bright red color. But if you’re in a pinch regular paprika will work too.
Can I use another cut of chicken? I used frozen boneless skinless chicken thighs that I get from Costco. Other choices would be boneless, skinless chicken breasts (won’t be as tender) and bone-in chicken pieces.
What should I serve with slow cooker chicken paprika? I boiled orzo on the stove and we spooned the beautiful sauce and chicken over the top of it. It was so tasty. Other choices would be to serve over egg noodles, rice, potatoes or for a low-carb option riced cauliflower.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes…
Want more tried and true slow cooker recipes?
Tender chicken thighs in a flavorful creamy tomato and paprika sauce served over pasta or rice.
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (frozen is fine)
- 1 Tbsp paprika (ideally Hungarian paprika)
- 1 tsp dried marjoram(or you can use 1/2 tsp dried oregano)
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Heat oil in a pan over medium high heat. Saute the onion for 4-5 minutes then add it into the slow cooker.
- Add in broth, chicken, paprika, marjoram, salt, pepper, crushed tomatoes and cover the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Then make a cornstarch slurry. In a small bowl stir together 2 Tbsp of cornstarch with 3 Tbsp of water, until smooth.Then pour the mixture into the slow cooker. Cook on high without the lid on for 20-30 more minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
- Stir a few tablespoons of the sauce into the sour cream to temper it and then stir the sour cream into the slow cooker.
- Serve sauce and chicken over rice, egg noodles, orzo, potatoes or riced cauliflower.
I used my Ninja Auto-iQ 6 Quart Slow Cooker.* My favorite feature of this slow cooker is that it has a stove top function. This is perfect for sauteing onions before you slow cook.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.