Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes and Chicken–ultimate comfort food! Cheese sauce envelopes tender bites of chicken and cubed potatoes. Make it fast in your Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes and Chicken
If you’re looking for comfort food at its finest look no further. These chicken and potatoes have a thick cheesy, creamy sauce that you’re going to love! Serve alongside steamed broccoli or green beans for an easy, delicious weeknight meal.
- Bite size pieces of chicken thighs (cut across the grain) or chicken tenderloins work perfectly in this recipe. They cook at the same rate as the cubed potatoes. You can also try chunks of chicken breasts, although they won’t taste as moist and tender.
- I used my silicone steamer basket* to steam the potatoes on top of the chicken. The steamer basket helps cook the potatoes perfectly without the graininess that can occur when you boil them right in the pot. If you don’t have a steamer basket you can try placing a trivet on top of the chicken and place larger cubes of potatoes on top of the trivet. It won’t be perfect but will probably work just fine!
- I prefer to use cheddar grated off the block instead of buying pre-shredded cheese. It melts better and doesn’t have additives in it.
- I used Russet potatoes but I’m assuming that red or yellow potatoes would work just as well. You can peel or not peel, it’s up to you and your preferences.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot . You can also make this in your 8 quart pot…add 1 cup of broth into pot instead of ½ cup.
More Instant Pot Chicken and Potato Recipes You’ll Love…
Instant Pot French Chicken Casserole
Instant Pot Zippy Chicken Soup
Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken and Vegetables
Instant Pot Bacon Cheddar Chicken Pot Pie
Instant Pot Chicken Bacon Chowder
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes and Chicken
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes (plus 5 minute NPR)
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
Ultimate comfort food! Cheese sauce envelopes tender bites of chicken and cubed potatoes. Make it fast in your Instant Pot.
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces (or you can use chicken tenderloins)
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp dried onion
- 1 1/2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 4 medium potatoes)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Add broth and chicken into Instant Pot. Stir in the salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and onion.
- Place potatoes into a steamer basket and place the basket into the Instant Pot on top of the chicken.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Remove the steamer basket and set aside.
- Stir the melted butter and flour together with a whisk until smooth and creamy. Stir the mixture into the Instant Pot with the liquid and chicken. Stir in the milk. Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. Once sauce has started to thicken stir in the cheese and let melt. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Stir the potatoes into the sauce. Coat well.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Matt K. says
You can use a metal steamer basket?
I made this and was delighted by the taste. Made a steamer basket of foil. Only thing I did different.
Thanks for the 5 stars Jeanette!
Liz P says
Absolutely delicious! The sauce was amazing and the potatoes were cooked perfect! Thanks again Karen!
So glad to hear it! thanks so much Liz!
Is there any substitute for the milk?
evaporated milk, half and half, cream, almond milk
Cherie Ashby says
Another fantastic recipe! My husband and brother loved it. Thanks Karen.
Yay! Thanks for the 5 stars!
Larry P. says
By how much should I increase the cooking time if I use FROZEN boneless, skinless chicken thighs?
Are they whole? if so they won’t cook at the same rate as the potatoes and they won’t be done in the middle and the potatoes will be overcooked.
Liz Petrus says
If they’re cut up and frozen do we use the same time?
yep I would
Made this tonight and it was amazing!!! The only change I made was to increase the chicken to a little over 2 pounds. Could easily put 3 pounds in there and there’s plenty of sauce. I used frozen tenderloins from Costco and did not thaw them. Also used sharp cheddar from Costco. The sauce was super creamy and decadent. Will make this again for sure…good fall/winter comfort food and so, so easy!!!
WOO HOOOOO! Thanks for the 5 stars Aimee
I have that same question! Great minds & those without instapots think alike! 🙂
Love your recipes, Karen!
Kathleen Blout says
can this recipe use in crockpot?