Instant Pot Cherokee Casserole–a cheesy, creamy rice and beef casserole that is so fast and easy to make in your Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Cherokee Casserole
I came across this recipe on the All Recipes website. I’m really not sure where it got its name. The author of the original recipe said, “My Granny always made this for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.” One commenter said, “I have the original recipe which was published in a Minute Rice calendar for 1968. It includes a bay leaf (remove before eating) and 3 sliced stuffed olives (which adds an interesting twist and are small enough for kids to eat around)…we ate this from 1968 onward; still a hit with the next generation.” Well wherever it came from and whatever it’s called it really tasted yummy and I had all the ingredients on hand to make it.
A few notes about the ingredients:
- In order to prevent the burn error message you will need to layer this dish as stated in the recipe and do not stir.
- I used long grain white rice. However you can make this with brown rice as well. You will just need to pressure cook for 20 minutes instead of 3 minutes. Brown rice takes a lot longer to cook than white rice but both turn out great.
- Cream of mushroom soup is used in this recipe but you can also use cream of chicken soup. I haven’t got a great solution for an alternative if you don’t like cream soups. You can forego the creamy layer all together or you can stir in 4 ounces of softened cream cheese after the pressure cooking time.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can also make this in the 3 or 8 quart pot.
You’ll also like…
Instant Pot Cattle Drive Casserole–-a hearty taco-seasoned ground beef and crescent roll casserole that will keep you full and ready to work all day long!
Instant Pot Shipwreck Casserole—a compilation of random ingredients like ground beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots that ends up tasting really amazing together!
Instant Pot Spanish Rice with Beef–a super fast and easy recipe for rice with ground beef, tomatoes, green peppers and spices.
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
A cheesy, creamy rice and beef casserole that is so fast and easy to make in your Instant Pot.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10.75 oz) can Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the beef and onions. Break up the beef. Brown for about 5 minutes. If there is excess grease you can drain it off. Stir in the kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, Italian seasoning and bay leaf.
- Pour the broth into the pot and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Evenly sprinkle in rice. Evenly dump tomatoes on top of rice. Take spoonfuls of cream of mushroom soup and plop it evenly on top of tomatoes. Don’t stir.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid and discard the bay leaf.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and use an air fryer lid to melt the cheese for a couple of minutes or place pressure cook lid back on top for a few minutes (keep on warm setting) and let cheese melt.
- Scoop onto plates and serve.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.