Did you know that you can bake cornbread in the slow cooker? It’s super easy and it’s a great way to bake in the summer since the crockpot won’t heat up your kitchen like the oven does. The cornbread comes out super moist too! This cornbread is perfect for a potluck or a side dish with your dinner.
You can use whatever cornbread recipe you want (I’ve written my recipe below) and it should turn out great. I like to line the back of my slow cooker with foil because it keeps the cornbread from burning on the edges. Most slow cookers have a “hot spot” which gets warmer than the other edges. Most of the time the hot spot is in the back of the slow cooker–the opposite side of the controls. Next I trace the bottom of my slow cooker onto a piece of parchment paper and then cut it out.
I place the oval piece of parchment paper into the bottom of my slow cooker. Then I spray the sides of the slow cooker with a little non-stick cooking spray. That way it will be easy to get the cornbread out of the slow cooker intact.
Pour the cornbread batter into the bottom of the slow cooker (on top of the parchment paper). Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 1 1/2 hours to about 2 hours (depending on your slow cooker). Then you’ll be able to turn your slow cooker over onto a platter and get the cornbread out easily.
The cornbread will be super moist and is delicious served hot with butter and honey!
An easy recipe for cornbread that you bake in your slow cooker.
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- In a bowl whisk together the corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add in the milk, egg, oil and stir until combined. Do not overmix.
- Line the hot spot of your slow cooker with a double layer of foil. Cut out a piece of parchment paper that will fit in the bottom of your slow cooker. Place the parchment paper in the bottom of the crock. Spray the sides of the slow cooker with some non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 90 minutes-2 hours. Use a toothpick to check for doneness. Insert the toothpick into the middle of the cornbread. If it comes out clean, it’s done. Let the bread cool for about 10 minutes. Place an oval platter upside down on top of the crock. Quickly flip the crock over so that the cornbread falls onto the top of the platter. Cut and serve.
I used a 6 quart slow cooker.