Makes 6 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 6 quart
1 lb ground Italian sausage
1 green pepper, finely diced
1 Tbsp dried onion
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp rosemary
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 (14.5 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
3 cups water
4 tsp chicken bouillon granules or 2 tsp shirley j chicken bouillon
2 1/2 cups campanelle noodles (they look like little tiny lasagna noodles)
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Mozzarella cheese, grated
1. In a pan, brown the ground sausage. Drain off all grease. Rinse the meat in a colander with hot water to make sure all grease is rinsed off. Add to the slow cooker.
2. Add the green pepper, onion, garlic, thyme, basil, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, brown sugar, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water and bouillon into the slow cooker.
3. Cover and cook on LOW for about 6 hours.
4. Remove lid and add in the uncooked campanelle noodles. Cover and cook for 30-40 more minutes, until noodles are cooked. If needed, season and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Ladle into serving bowls and top with grated Parmesan and mozzarella.
Recipe adapted from Baking with Blondie
So happy with the results of this soup. It so reminded me of the Italian Tortellini Soup but was faster to get in the crockpot and tasted, in my opinion, just as good. The Italian sausage added such great flavor. I used the mild, but if you like it spicy you can get the hot. I didn't need to salt and pepper it or add any spices at the end...it tasted great just the way it was. Don't forget the mozzarella and Parmesan at the end. 5 stars!