All the delicious flavors of lasagna in soup form! Plus, it’s made in the slow cooker so it’s super easy to make. We had this two nights in a row because we loved it so much.
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage (mild or hot, it’s up to you)
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp marjoram
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 3 cups water
- 4 tsp chicken bouillon granules (or 2 tsp shirley j chicken bouillon)
- 3 cups uncooked campanelle noodles (they look like little tiny lasagna noodles)
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Grated mozzarella cheese
- Ricotta cheese
- In a pan, brown the ground sausage and saute the onions and garlic at the same time. Drain off all grease. Rinse the meat in a colander with hot water to make sure all grease is rinsed off. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add the green pepper, garlic, thyme, basil, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, bay leaf, brown sugar, tomatoes,tomato sauce, water and bouillon into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 4-6 hours.
- Discard the bay leaf. Cook the pasta over the stove top until al dente. Drain off the water and add the pasta to the slow cooker. If needed, season and salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into serving bowls and top with grated Parmesan and mozzarella and a dollop of ricotta cheese.
I used my 6 quart slow cooker for this recipe.