Slow Cooker Taco Lasagna
But today I wanted to take the flavors from tacos and make them into a cheesy Mexican dish that will be totally family friendly and perfect for dinner any night of the week. You never know Taco Tuesday at your house could become Taco Lasagna Tuesday from now on!
National Pasta Day
October 17th is National Pasta Day and I think you should celebrate by making some pasta. Come on! It’ll be fun. Here are some pasta dishes from my amazing blogger friends.
- The Perfect Mac and Cheese from Ashlee Marie
- Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta from Creations by Kara
- One Pot Chicken Florentine Pasta from The Baker Upstairs
- Simple Italian White Bean and Pasta Soup from Real Mom Kitchen
- Lemon Tarragon Pasta Salad from Jamie Cooks It Up
- Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Shells from Like Mother Like Daughter
- One-Pot Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Noodles from Life Made Simple
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta from Yummy Healthy Easy
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
For this slow cooker taco lasagna recipe I went with my 3-quart casserole crock made by the Crock-Pot brand. I have loved this casserole shaped crockpot for recipes just like this. I love that the crock insert is completely oven and dishwasher safe. I love how if you want to brown the top of the casserole you can do that quickly in the oven after it cooks all day in the slow cooker. Or if you want to bake something in the oven and then put it into the crockpot and keep it warm on the counter, you can do that too.
Send Me Free Slow Cooker Recipes!
Thanks for stopping by! Do you love crockpot recipes? Wish you had more good ones that your family would actually eat? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up here. I usually send out 1-2 new recipes per week. And you can unsubscribe at any time. This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
A lasagna made in your slow cooker with all the fun Mexican flavors found in tacos.
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 package (1.25-ounces) taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 container (16-ounces) cottage cheese (or ricotta cheese)
- 1 egg
- 10 whole-wheat lasagna noodles
- 3 cups picante sauce
- 8 oz sharp or medium cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 can (2.25 ounces) sliced black olives, optional
- Sour cream, for topping
- Diced red onion, for topping
- Cilantro, chopped, for topping
- Sliced avocado, for topping
- Heat skillet over medium high heat; add ground beef. Use wooden spoon to break meat into even pieces. Add taco seasoning and tomato paste, stirring occasionally for even browning. Continue to brown beef until no longer pink; drain excess fat. Set aside.
- Place ricotta in medium bowl; add egg and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- In casserole slow cooker or 6-quart oval slow cooker, layer 5 uncooked whole-wheat lasagna noodles over bottom (you may break some noodles in half to fit slow cooker shape). Spoon half of ricotta mixture over noodles as evenly as possible. Sprinkle half of beef over ricotta. Pour half of salsa over beef.
- Mix cheddar and mozzarella together to blend. Sprinkle half of cheese mixture over salsa.
- Repeat layering, starting with remaining lasagna noodles and ending with remaining cheese mixture.
- Top cheese layer with sliced olives, if using. Cover slow cooker; cook on high 2-3 hours or low about 4 hours. Serve lasagna immediately with favorite toppings (sour cream, red onion, cilantro and avocado are my favorites.).
I like using whole-wheat lasagna noodles for this recipe because they do not get mushy like white pasta tends to do in the slow cooker. The noodles do not need to be oven-ready noodles.
This post contains affiliate links for Amazon. Each time you purchase something from Amazon that I’ve linked to I get a few pennies. Thanks so much for supporting my blog!