Soft Lemon Sugar Cookies–you’ll never want plain old sugar cookies again after you try these! The lemon flavor is obvious but does not overtake the cookie. The cookie is soft and almost like a cross between sugar cookie and shortbread. The frosting is a must and ties everything together in a beautiful and delicious bow. I dare you to just eat ONE cookie. It’s impossible.
Soft Lemon Sugar Cookies
I have a love of chocolate more than any other person I know. Most of the time when I eat a dessert that doesn’t have chocolate I leave unsatisfied and depressed. However, that is not the case with these soft lemon sugar cookies. They are so satisfying, so soft and the lemon flavor is superb.
If you are familiar with Swig sugar cookies they are similar to the texture. But why go out and purchase these cookies when you can make an entire batch for the price of 2-3 cookies?
More cookies you’ll love…
Oatmeal Coconut Craisin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Soft Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Makes about 32 cookies 1x
You’ll never want plain old sugar cookies again after you try these! The lemon flavor is obvious but does not overtake the cookie. The cookie is soft and almost like a cross between sugar cookie and shortbread. The frosting is a must and ties everything together in a beautiful and delicious bow. I dare you to just eat ONE cookie. It’s impossible.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1 cup sour cream
- Zest from 2 lemons
- 1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sour cream
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Zest from one lemon
- Dash of salt
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line 3 cookies sheets with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Make the dough: add butter, shortening, sour cream and zest to mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Mix for one minute on a low speed. Add in sugar and vanilla, mix until smooth. Add in the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix on low speed until the dough comes together and flour disappears.
- Form the cookies: Use a cookie scooper (about 1 1/2 Tbsp dough) and scoop the dough onto a cookie sheet.
- Flatten the cookies: Use the bottom of a glass to flatten the cookies. They aren’t supposed to look perfect, they will be “rustic” on the edges.
- Bake for about 10 minutes. They won’t look brown or “done.” Let them rest on the pan for about 3-5 minutes and then remove the cookies and let them cool on a cooling rack.
- Make the frosting: Beat the butter, sour cream, powdered sugar, lemon juice, zest and salt together in a bowl. Add in the milk and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Frost the cookies: Once the cookies are cooled use a butter knife to generously frost the cookies.
- Eat and enjoy! Freeze leftovers in an airtight container. I like to microwave a frozen cookie for about 9 seconds for a perfect treat.
This recipe is adapted from A Bountiful Kitchen’s Lemon Lime Sprig Cookies.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for soft lemon sugar cookies? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Hi. These look delicious. Would they turn out differently if I use a hand mixer instead of a stand mixer (that I don’t have)?
They’d be great!
Sherry Poppe says
I don’t have butter flavored shortening, can I use regular shortening?
yes, but won’t taste as buttery 🙂
AIYSHA Qazi says
Made these cookies today, delicious.
they are some of my favorites!
Christine Gibbons says
Is 4 1/2 cups flour correct? The recipe only makes 32 cookies.
Yes it’s correct! Lots of flour in this recipe 🙂
NO egg? Just making sure I’m reading it right before I make them!
yes, there is no egg in these cookies!